Max File Size for Image Import

02-06-2012 12:35 PM
VictorWilhelm
New Contributor
Hello,

I am having difficulty importing georeferenced .tiff files into City Engine.  ~555mb and the other is ~876mb.  The files are not viewable as previews.  I have confirmed that the images are in the correct coordinate system and projection inside ArcMap and Microstation.

Thanks,

Vic

PS Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit
CityEngine 2011.1 build 1021 trial version 64 bit
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

There's a very important distinction to be made between e.g. ArcMap and the CityEngine, how huge raster files are displayed :

In ArcMap, raster files are loaded as a 'service', just loading the proper part of large files which is actually seen on screen, plus in an adapted resolution. The CityEngine treats raster files as a whole thing (texture) which is mapped on a 3d model in the viewport. Thus, the whole raster file needs to be stored in the memory of the graphics card, filling it up very fast, especially since compressed file formats such as .jpg are handled uncompressed.

As you see it is happening very fast that the graphics card memory is filled up, if not treated carefully with just one huge texture.

To prevent this from happening, you need to downscale the images to lower resolutions such as e.g. 2K or 4K (2048x2048 | 4096x4096). You may see that pictures larger than 8K (8192x8192) may not even get displayed (as in your case) or sometimes just get downscaled internally to 2K (sampling still happens on the full res file).

What I recommend is to check what graphics card you have and how much memory it has and then check how big files become at a certain resolution as a tif file (tif is uncompressed format).

Please note also that it's a huge difference in data whether your file is 8bit / 16 bit / 32 bit !

Ok ?

ps. check file sizes with this neat page : http://www.hdslr-cinema.com/tools/filesize.php
(see output under 'frame filesize')

Matt
0 Kudos
VictorWilhelm
New Contributor
Thanks for the response.

I have a ATI Firepro v4800.  This card has 1GB DDR5 memory.  My imagery is 8-bit. 

Is it correct to say that I need to limit imagery size to 2K X 2K to 4K X 4K in order to use it as a texture in CityEngine? 

Do you have any plans to support the .sid file type?

Thanks again,

Vic
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

they don't have to have a square ratio, just stay as lowres as possible.
E.g. 1345 x 2020 would work fine.

.sid, I do not know specifically. is it a mip-mapping format (or similar) ?
we do have .dds support, if this helps .. (?)

m.
0 Kudos
VictorWilhelm
New Contributor
I was able to get my imagery in by limiting the row and column size.  Thanks.

The .sid file format is referenced here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MrSID
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

thanks for the link.

I guess for now you'll have to convert those files in ArcGIS to use in CE ..
0 Kudos
VictorWilhelm
New Contributor
that is exactly what i did. The .sid file format is not a big issue.  Perhaps when you get a chance you can look into this:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/49582-Any-Suggestions-on-How-to-Create-Roadway-Highway-On-and-Off-R...

Vic:

PS:

Really like CityEngine.  I think this is going to be a solution for us if we can get over one or two more hurdles.  Thanks again.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
getting to that .. hopefully soon.. 🙂

I'm friggin busy currently .. 😞
0 Kudos