KMZ Stuff

10-31-2011 10:48 PM
timrobinson
New Contributor III
Hi - been trying out the KMZ import using the new trial version (2011), hit an error immediately (see attached). Is this a trial version issue or a software error? I tried drag-n-drop as the help file suggested.

On a related note - are KML / KMZ supported through the CGA import function yet, or only as manual file imports? Big issue for Sketchup users - KMZ is the only available format if using the free version; DAE export only available to Pro users. Fine for me, not fine for lots of other people. It would be a great step forward to have a really good SKP > Cityengine relationship, could do with this on a major project commission straightaway.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

as you may know, kmz files are simply compressed (zipped) kml files. so you can any time simply unzip it to get the kml file.
kml files themselves can also be just zipped and renamed to kmz to get a kmz file.

since kml/kmz files already are georeferenced, it makes most sense to simply use them as so-called 'Static Models' (please see new documentation), a new functionality of the CityEngine 2011. simply drag-and-drop (also a new functionality of 2011 !) them into the scene and they're automatically placed correctly.

so kml/kmz files can not be used in CGA, this is not supported since they basically in 99.9% of the cases already represent final building geometries.

in case you need to use the kml/kmz geometries as assets anyway, dig deeper in the kml file structure to find standard collada (.dae) files which you can use of course, also within CGA.

ok ?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
concerning your poll :

as seen in the above post, working in CGA and working with georeferenced ('final') models are two entirely different things in the CityEngine, thus they should not be combined.

makes sense ?
0 Kudos
ElliotHartley1
New Contributor II
Just thought you'd like to know for users of the free version of SketchUP there is a plugin to enable OBJ exports (with materials).   I can't remember where I got it from exactly but go to this thread on SketchUcation  would be a good start.

Or you could message me directly and I can send you it.. 🙂
0 Kudos
timrobinson
New Contributor III
hi ..

as you may know, kmz files are simply compressed (zipped) kml files. so you can any time simply unzip it to get the kml file.
kml files themselves can also be just zipped and renamed to kmz to get a kmz file.

since kml/kmz files already are georeferenced, it makes most sense to simply use them as so-called 'Static Models' (please see new documentation), a new functionality of the CityEngine 2011. simply drag-and-drop (also a new functionality of 2011 !) them into the scene and they're automatically placed correctly.

so kml/kmz files can not be used in CGA, this is not supported since they basically in 99.9% of the cases already represent final building geometries.

in case you need to use the kml/kmz geometries as assets anyway, dig deeper in the kml file structure to find standard collada (.dae) files which you can use of course, also within CGA.

ok ?

Hi Matthias, thanks for this. I was aware KMZ's were compressed....but not that you could unzip them and dig out the DAE. Useful.

I have used OBJ's as a Sketchup output before (see Elliot's comment below) but occasionally found issues with this format. I'm just puzzled that you're not making KMZ/KML an option for CGA import when all of the file handling is provided; KMZ files from Sketchup do not necessarily have deliberate georeferencing added - many models we work with are building concepts that are not located on a true site location - and could be inserted into an initial shape just like an OBJ / etc. Does this really pose an issue? It looks like a good workflow to me, avoiding the need for third party translators / plugins between Sketchup and CE. I have a large project on which I intend to use CE as a 'decision engine' rather than procedurally modelling the major parts of building forms - CE would analyse mapping and shapefile data to then select and insert/orientate etc static building models from a library of varying types.

Just regarding the screenshot I posted - this occurred when I tried to drag-and-drop as a static model import, not through any CGA attempt. Is this a software error, or is KMZ import not available on the trial version?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi.

I just downloaded the free SketchUp version on my macBook and I am able to export also to collada (next to kmz).

I made a little test and I'm able to import both kmz and collada files into the scene via d'n'd without an issue.

Tim, can you maybe upload an asset which causes you issues ?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
dear all,

indeed, there was a bug in the TRIAL version, which is now fixed.

it's going to work in the Service Release, which should arrive soon !
0 Kudos
MicheleAndreolli
New Contributor
Dear All,

I just downloaded CE Trial 2011! We would like to test the new KML importer... but we get exactly the same error...the downloaded version is 2011.1 1021.T...

Any help? Thank You in advanced...

Best,
Michele
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi Michele,

The new 2011.2 TRIAL will solve this issue, that's been a bad bug. The new installers are on their way being distributed. I hope it does not take much more time until you can try the new version, ok ?
0 Kudos
MicheleAndreolli
New Contributor
hi Michele,

The new 2011.2 TRIAL will solve this issue, that's been a bad bug. The new installers are on their way being distributed. I hope it does not take much more time until you can try the new version, ok ?

Thank You for your replay! Good to know, we wait the new version... Do you have any indication on the timing of realese?
0 Kudos