Is it possible to change the character encoding of a layer in a scene? Or a file?

Jump to solution
07-24-2015 03:30 AM
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I used some shp files containing Umlauts in their attributes. I checked them beforehand in ArcMap and the characters displayed properly. The cpg file tells me the encoding is UTF-8.

However the attributes don't display right in CE (2014, but I had someone who uses 2015.1 check too). Example: "Gebäude", which should be "Gebäude".

I experimented a bit trying to fix this: I changed (right-click -> properties) the project folder's encoding, the data folder's encoding, the shp file's encoding (and all of the accompanying files: cpg, dbf, prj, sbn, sbx) and the scene's encoding. I also tried adding the shp again as new layer in the old scene and in a new scene but that brought no results.

I also tried to create a completely new project, changed its encoding to UTF-8 from Cp1252 (Windows default - "inherited from container", although I'm not sure which container it's referring to since the project folder is the topmost container), before adding any data. I then added some new shp files to the project (their encoding was left at default which is now also "Inherited from container (UTF-8")) and tried to use them in a new scene but that didn't work either.

Is this encoding reassignment simply not supported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

hi,

unfortunately, the shapefile importer in cityengine does not consider the character encoding of the attributes, i.e. all strings are interpreted in the native os encoding. this problem has been logged into our bug database and we hope to fix this problem as soon as possible.

apologies for the mixed news & kind regards,

simon

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

hi,

unfortunately, the shapefile importer in cityengine does not consider the character encoding of the attributes, i.e. all strings are interpreted in the native os encoding. this problem has been logged into our bug database and we hope to fix this problem as soon as possible.

apologies for the mixed news & kind regards,

simon