insert obj into scene from rule?

05-27-2015 01:17 PM
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I have used the complete_streets rule in a model I have created.  However, I want to use my own street lamps. However, they do not show up.

Here is what I have done so far.

1.  Drag and dropped existing globe street lamp from the "complete_streets" rule into the scene.

2.  Converted the obj into shapes

3.  re-shaped the new shape into the lamp I want (with textures and size)

4.  exported the new shape as an obj into the asset file where the rule is getting its lamps from. (Dir_lamps)

5.  Selected the new obj in the inspector window as the lamp I want to use.

The lamps do not show up.  They appear in the preview window...but not in the scene.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think David Wasserman​ might know. Otherwise, could you post the OBJ you created and I could try it on my end.

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor

I loaded it into City Engine group and tagged you.

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor

Sure! Thanks. How do I attach the OBJ to a message here?...or should I just email it to you?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

"use advanced editor" is in upper right of reply form. You will get an "Attach" button there.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Micah,

I can tell that the model origin is very far from the insertion point, so your model might be appearing somewhere off in the distance. This is due to modeling the light inside CityEngine. Although it is possible to edit this type of model in CE, it is not an intended workflow. If you have access to Sketchup or another modeling software (Rhino, 3DS, Mayay), then you could take the model as you did from the Complete Streets example, model it outside of CityEngine, and then put back into the project. Doing it in an "object-scale" modeler will preserve the model origin. When you exported the model after modeling in CityEngine, the model then used the origin of the CityEngine scene as the model's origin. So inserting that model using the rule probably put it in the scene, but at exactly the offset from the CE origin in the new model file. Does this explanation make sense?

Chris

DavidWasserman

Am I still needed?

The only thing I have to add is that all inserted objects that are intended to be replaced like street lamps need to have up be in the direction of the Y axis. All objects are aligned scope to axis in the y direction as part of the scope casting I did for the rule. So in software like sketchup where the model is made, the Y axis should be the vertical one.

David

David Wasserman, AICP
MicahTaylor

Ok, I have brought in a new lamp object that I created in Sketchup (Obj).  The Complete Streets rule successfully puts the lamps on the sidewalks, but the textures don't show up.  They do show up in the preview window, but not on the actual model in the scene.  Is their something in the rule I need to adjust to get the textures?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The material file (.MTL) must be present along with the textures alongside the OBJ. I think the textures can also be in a subfolder if the MTL file points there.

MicahTaylor

Perfect!...Sketchup didnt export but one color (white) so I thought it was not coloring the object.  I added the other colors into the sub folder and then added them in correct place in MTL file.

Thanks!