Importing Shapefiles

07-17-2013 01:38 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I'm trying to import a shapefile that contains all my building footprints. I've imported, and can still import other shapefiles of a similar size and containing almost the same information but for some reason I'm just getting the error shown below for this shapefile. All I've done in this is edit it a bit in arcgis to split up some of the larger building footprints into smaller sections and change some of the height values to compensate for this. I then saved my edits and tried to import the same shapefile into my program but to no avail. I also tried to export the data to a new shapefile but it still won't load that. It's also not scene specific as won't load in other scenes. What could be causing this error and how do I fix it?

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Very strange, I don't know what caused it but the only way to fix it was to import the shp file into another program (QGIS) and then export the data back out as a shapefile. After that it imported into CE fine.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hmm. weird ..

could you send me both shape files as internal test files ?

glad you found a workaround.

maybe send me a PM with your mail address.

cheers !

matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi Matt

I've sent you an email with the offending shapefile attached.

Regards

Joanne
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

thx.

I'll look at it as soon as I'm back in the office around tuesday.

Currently traveling in the US.

matt
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the files. Checked them.

I can reproduce the issue in CE.

Though I also tried to open the file in ArcMap, which failed too. 'error: could not open feature class'.

So the file itself seems garbled. If ArcMap cannot open the file, how should CE do it .. 😉

Does that help you a bit further ?

Maybe track down which process kills the shape file, ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Oh that's strange that you couldn't open it in arcmap, they opened fine in mine, ArcGIS 10.1. I'll keep an eye out for the issue and let you know if I have it again!
0 Kudos