Import in Vue

05-22-2012 09:20 AM
mountaineerhill
New Contributor
I use CE 2011 for Vue. I have modelled my first city aligned with terrain. I have exported the terrain as VOB and the city models as VOB seperately. After importing in Vue I can see terrain and city, but the city isn't aligned to the terrain. How can I import terrain and city fully aligned like in CE ? So it seems like a pain to align it manually !

Thanks in advance for your answers from a newbie
mountaineer
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

Try the following :

In the preferences, in the General tab under Object options, deactivate the setting called 'Center Vue objects when loading'.

As far as I remember, this places all the objects in the same spot from where you can move them up all together.

Lemme know. 😉

matt
0 Kudos
mountaineerhill
New Contributor
I have deactivated this option in Vue now, but with no success. The houses are always centered at the terrains center point, BUT have CORRECT dimensions in X, Y and Z-direction. So as I have tried to move the houses manually and after time consuming moving operations they align to the terrain more or less well.
I have also tried under CE Export options > Misc Options > Global Offset > Center, but also without success.

regards,
mountaineer
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

- on which Vue version are you ?

- as I remember, there's also a center option on the vue vob import dialog, does this one help ?

- do you have to move individual buildings or are all buildings in 1 vob (there's export options for this in Cityengine) ?

If you'd like for a test, if my inputs do not help you, I could issue you a Time Limited Full License with Exporter, so you can test other formats such as obj which may behave better. This may then become a reason why to switch to CityEngine BASIC.

Let me know. PM if you like.

cheers !

matt
0 Kudos
mountaineerhill
New Contributor
- I use Vue 10

- I have tried nearly all possibilities > center on import has no positive effect on placement

- all near buildings are exported as one VOB object

Do you have another advice ? Otherwise I would contact you with PM for the test version of CE Basic.

Regards,
mountaineer
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

sadly I don't have Vue10, so I cannot test myself.

can be they have changed something in Vue10 which worked in 9 ..

well, just PM me, ok ?

sry I can not help further atm.

matt
0 Kudos