How to find the number of shapes that have same name, coming from different branches?

09-01-2016 06:18 AM
CemDemir
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to write a rule file which splits shapes as in Fig.2 and creates building layouts according to certain conditions (Fig.3). I want the last rule (in Yellow rectangle in Fig.1) to have the information number of generated predecessor shapes (in Green rectangles). I am trying to achieve that the rule splits the GFAR value into Buildings; so the Building rule has to know the number of previously created shapes. Note that rules are conditional, so not all the splits create a building within. So, number of splits do not help. Actually I am trying to find a way to import the number of shapes that reach up to "Building" rule.

I hope somebody can help me about that workflow. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

If I understand you correctly, you would like to know how many green rectangles exist when you are in the rule that creates the yellow rectangle.

This, unfortunately, is not possible.  It is not possible for a shape to know something about another branch of the shape tree.  The shape can only really know stuff about its own branch (its own parent/ancestor shapes).

If you use reports to count the number of green rectangles, you can get this number after the whole scene is generated, but you won't be able to access this number in a particular rule like the one for the yellow rectangle.