How do I make a fictional map with no data, and from scratch?

01-21-2014 06:05 PM
RandyBriere
New Contributor
I would like to make my map, which is pure fiction into an arcGIS map. However, all I've been able to do with it is insert the image into the mxd and that's it. Basically nothing else I can do. No real world data fits my map, and I'd like to create features such as polygons, lines, and points, and from there, I'd like to start creating data to represent everything.

I am really new to ArcGIS, and am taking classes at Simon Fraser University. Is there anyway I can go about this?

Picture is here

Please let me know, thanks.

(i feel like an idiot, that's why i posted this here)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
You should take a look at the Cartographer's Guild.

One thing you can do is georeference the map--possibly to a known place as that would be an easy to get reasonable sizing. Or georeference the map, but use made-up 'links' (target coordinates) in meters or feet, so you can set the area that your map covers.
0 Kudos
RandyBriere
New Contributor
Thanks Ms. Kennedy. Out of curiosity, how do/can I georeference this map? Say, with made-up links? I look up tutorials or information and not much I found could help me out.
0 Kudos
RandyBriere
New Contributor
I tried out a guide here at http://gpshort.uga.edu/instructions/gis/Georeference%20an%20image%20using%20ArcMap.pdf. I somehow picked the coordinate system for Anoka Co, MN, then set the units to feet. Then by 'add date' i imported the picture into ArcMap, and it split the image in 3 sublayers called bands. [ATTACH=CONFIG]30729[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Randy,

Melita referred to a process of georeferencing the raster image, done using the Spatial Analyst extension.  It basically takes the 0,0 cartesian that pixels of your picture are stored in, and scales & rotates them to fit onto  a real world spatial coordinate system. The image can then be 'rectified' to recast the pixels into their correct coordinates as used in ArcGIS.  As you've done thus far--all that has happened is the raster is placed as a layer into a data frame using its 0,0 origin.   Realworld points will be 100's of thousands of feet from the current position.

Suggest that the alternative, CityEngine would allow you to generate your entire sceenscape. You can use realworld coordinate system or a simple cartesian.  Look through some of the demo's and you'll get an idea why it might be the better choice for rendering your 'imaginary' game setting.

Regards

Stuart
0 Kudos