how can texture,such as lawn, fit terrain well

08-22-2013 10:43 PM
qingyangliu
Deactivated User
Hello!
  I want to add some lawn to my scene,but I find it can't fit terrain well when looking at it in a close distance. The terrain is DEM.
  This is my CGA:
    Lawn -->
setupProjection(0,scope.xz,~15,~15)
texture("images/lawn.jpg")
projectUV(0)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26905[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
14 Replies
qingyangliu
Deactivated User
Hi!

Yes,It works well. But it's a pity that it generates a lot of polygons.

I have the similar problem when I work with the street network. I use both align shapes to terrain and align terrain to shapes,while there are still some streets under the terrain. I wonder that why the Lower terrain can't work.

Do you have other better idea?

thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27043[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Hi,

That is because of the actual resulting size of the terrain.

If you select the terrain layer, go to the Inspector and set the wireframe alpha to 0.3, then press the '7' key after making the viewport the active window. this triggers the wireframe display render setting.

This way, you can see each polygon on the terrain layer.

Then, also in the layer attributes of the terrain layer, play with the U and V subdivisions to adapt the resulting polygon size of the terrain.

The issue in general is that if you align shapes to the terrain and the other way 'round is that only the individual points are moved up and down, but the edges between the points still may intersect the geometries. So what I usually do is make an offset of 0.5 meters to prevent this as well as possible.

The terrain tools need some updates, we have this on the wishlist already quite some time. 😕

Makes sense ?

Matt
0 Kudos
qingyangliu
Deactivated User
Hi!

I appreciate your suggestions and patient reply. Hoping this problem will be solved soon.

thanks
0 Kudos
qingyangliu
Deactivated User
Hi!
I have one more question:).

I want to export the KML, but it contain too many DAEs. How can I control the number of the DAE inside the KML. My scene have road network and buildings.

what's more, can I convert the model in the scene to static model? I don't find the way to do this.

when I import the OBJ which is exported from the scene as the static model, I find it difficult to control the position of it. Is there a convenient way to put the OBJ to the original place?

thanks
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Deactivated User
Hi,

1]
It seems, 1 mesh is written out per shape in such a kml file. That's just how it works currently.

2]
There's currently no way to convert a generated Model to a Static Model. What you can do is :
-Export the model as .dae/kml or .obj. Those are the file formats supported for Static Models [and assets]. Then re-import them.

3]
Obj is not a georeferenced file format. Use kml instead. When drag-n-dropping a kml into the viewport from the project folder, it will automatically be placed in the right spot.

Ok ?
0 Kudos