How are Front and Back of Lots determined??

Jump to solution
01-31-2014 06:50 AM
KevinGrover
New Contributor II
I am not sure how CE determines how the front, side and back of lots are determined?? I have a few scenarios.

1. If you have a lot that is bounded by roads on the front and back, it somehow determines what the front is. It seems to be the direction it is drawn, but not certain. I am thinking of cases where the back road may be a lane, which would have a smaller width, but I want to force the front to be along the major road. Is this possible?

2. If I have a block of lots that is surrounded by roads (see the image with 4 lots), the two end lots have the front along the west and east roads. Is there a way to force them all to the north road??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31020[/ATTACH]

3. If I have static parcels, I see that by drawing counterclockwise, the front of lot is at the top, and clockwise at the bottom. However, this needs to be done outside of CE, and not always done this way. Is there a way to flip the lot in CE, or reverse the direction of the road alignment to fix this??

Thanks.

Kevin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Kevin,

sorry for the late reply, I missed this thread. 😞

1] The first edge defines 'scope front' to CGA. On a start shape, scope.sx is always parallel to the first edge.
2] Static Shapes show the first edge with an orange line. Dynamic shapes do not show that organge line, but they of course also have one ( see 3] ). The reason why the line is hidden is that the first edge is well-defined in a block and cannot be changed manually ( unless you convert to static shapes ).
3] definition of the first edge in dynamic shapes:
prio 1 : the WIDEST street a shape touches drives the first edge
prio 2 : if 2 streets ( corner lot ) are equally wide, the longest street edge drives the first edge
prio 3: if both edges are equally long, the default is used ( basically random )
LotInner : equal to prio 3.

So to change 'front and back stuff' once the first edge is defined is done via CGA.

Ok ?

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinGrover
New Contributor II
So I have partly answered my own question about static parcels, and using the Compute First/Street Edges command.

However, regarding dynamic lots, is there a way to force what the front of lot is, if it is bounded by 2 roads. ?? I haven't figured out a way to do this.

Any ideas?? Other than converting to static shapes??

Kevin
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Kevin,

sorry for the late reply, I missed this thread. 😞

1] The first edge defines 'scope front' to CGA. On a start shape, scope.sx is always parallel to the first edge.
2] Static Shapes show the first edge with an orange line. Dynamic shapes do not show that organge line, but they of course also have one ( see 3] ). The reason why the line is hidden is that the first edge is well-defined in a block and cannot be changed manually ( unless you convert to static shapes ).
3] definition of the first edge in dynamic shapes:
prio 1 : the WIDEST street a shape touches drives the first edge
prio 2 : if 2 streets ( corner lot ) are equally wide, the longest street edge drives the first edge
prio 3: if both edges are equally long, the default is used ( basically random )
LotInner : equal to prio 3.

So to change 'front and back stuff' once the first edge is defined is done via CGA.

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos