Generate Buildings based on the Parcel Area percentage

Jump to solution
03-27-2014 05:32 AM
royharb
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,

In our recent project I am working on, I was asked to create a rule where i can generate buildings based on the plot area.
For example, if i have a 500 avg parcel Area, I want my buildings to have 50 % of each plot and centered
within the available area and having a fully control over my setback.

Thank you,

Best,

Roy
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Oh I've actually worked this out. I got around the issue with separate branches by making a footprint, then saving the scope measurements and reverting the shape back to the original parcel, then doing the envelope.

I was previously trying to then shrink the envelope down to the footprint scope sizes, but the trick was instead to split it (both down the x and z axes) and only keep the middle bits, which were set to have the footprint sizes. I think it's perhaps more complicated to explain than it actually was, but I'm just glad it's all working now!

Thanks for the help.

Nathan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

any shaped parcel and rectangular building footprint ?

that'd be easy .. 🙂

matt
0 Kudos
royharb
New Contributor
Hi,

any shaped parcel and rectangular building footprint ?

that'd be easy .. 🙂

matt

Here's a small part of it.

Thanks Matt
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Ok, but I need also a scheme on how the buildings are supposed to be placed on these parcels ..

Can you make an image ?

m.
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have a similar issue, although I've resolved the site coverage part with:

Lot7 -->
    case geometry.area > FootprintAllowed : s('0.99,0,'0.99) center(xz) Lot7
    else : Lot8

Where FootprintAllowed comes from the site coverage % multiplied by the parcel size. All of which is borrowed from cityengine.blogspot.co.nz 🙂

The rule also needs to use an envelope operation and unfortunately I can't get it to work in co-ordination with the site coverage part.
At the moment (and in order), I apply yard restrictions, set the maximum building footprint (based on the site coverage operation above), determine the max height, and then create a building envelope.

My issue is that the envelope operation uses the building footprints for its boundaries, rather than the original parcel boundaries. I need it to use the predetermined building footprints, but to work out the envelope based on the parcel boundaries. I've tried putting the envelope operation first, but haven't been able to get it to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Nate
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

not sure, but it sounds that you need to copy your shape at some point.

A -->
    B. // is a copy of A
    C. // is a copy of A

Means you go like this:

Parcel -->
    DoEnvelope.
    GoAndSplitFootprint.

Does that make sense ?
Does this go in the right direction ?

m.
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
It almost does. I was thinking of that, but then they would need to be reconciled, i.e. the envelope would need to be limited to the xz scope or the footprint would need extrapolated to the height of the envelope.

I thought that perhaps it required what you suggested but in a linear form, so I tried to:

1. Save the original scope values

2. create the limited footprint

3. save the modified x and z scopes

4. return the shape to the original x and z scope values

5. create the envelop

6. limit the envelope to the modified x and z scope values

This almost works, but the shape of the envelope carries through to the shrunken shape - it retains sloped sides where they could be straight up and down without breaching the original envelope. If I extruded the modified flat footprint very high and also created a suitable envelope, is there a way to extract the area which falls inside both shapes?

Oh and thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
can you post a schema that shows the steps graphically ?

I wanna make sure I understand what you need ..

Matt
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Hi Matt, the screenshot attached has the process the rule follows, as well as an example of two envelopes. The pink/purple inner envelope is based on the building footprint, while the larger transparent one ignores it.

The solution would involve a third envelope which had the xz scope (footprint) of the pink and purple envelope and extruded out to the y scope (i.e. roof) of the outer transparent envelope at all points.

Nathan
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I'm not sure if I get the issue.

Are you trying to extrude the building up to the allowed height before it exits the envelope that's assigned on the parcel ?

What do you mean by 'while the larger transparent one ignores it' ?

m.
0 Kudos