Generate Buildings based on the Parcel Area percentage

Jump to solution
03-27-2014 05:32 AM
royharb
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,

In our recent project I am working on, I was asked to create a rule where i can generate buildings based on the plot area.
For example, if i have a 500 avg parcel Area, I want my buildings to have 50 % of each plot and centered
within the available area and having a fully control over my setback.

Thank you,

Best,

Roy
0 Kudos
15 Replies
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Hi Matt,

That's pretty much what I'm after - to extrude the building footprint to the roof of the larger envelope (which is based on the parcel).

Sorry for the confusion, when I wrote 'while the larger transparent one ignores it', I meant this it's based on the original parcel shape, not the building footprint.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Well, one limitation of CGA is different 'branches' in the Model Hierarchy cannot query each other. When you branch off both Parcel Envelope and creation of footprint, those shapes have no more 'knowledge' of the existence of the other shapes.

Means there's not really a way to do this currently in CGA due to missing queries of this kind.

Options:
- Set an attribute for each building manually (well .. )
- Use some hack with occlusion queries. [ Though this is most probably going to give you more heachaches. ]

How many buildings to you need to 'design' this way ?

matt
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Oh I've actually worked this out. I got around the issue with separate branches by making a footprint, then saving the scope measurements and reverting the shape back to the original parcel, then doing the envelope.

I was previously trying to then shrink the envelope down to the footprint scope sizes, but the trick was instead to split it (both down the x and z axes) and only keep the middle bits, which were set to have the footprint sizes. I think it's perhaps more complicated to explain than it actually was, but I'm just glad it's all working now!

Thanks for the help.

Nathan
0 Kudos
DuliniRatnayake
New Contributor III

Hi Nathan,

I am trying to do somewhat similar to your work you did couple of years ago.I cannot create the footprint based on lot coverage (as percentage of parcel).

Any advise high appreciated.

Thank you.

Dulini

CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Maybe the splitArea function would be useful for your problem.  It splits along a dimension according to a specified area (either specified as absolute or relative).  Here is the help page:

splitArea Operation 

However, this operation only splits in one direction at a time, so if you want to split in x and z, you'll have to split first in one direction and then split in the other.

DuliniRatnayake
New Contributor III

Thank you Cheryl...

0 Kudos