Failing to bridge two streets using the create streets tool

Jump to solution
07-26-2012 06:02 AM
JoshWade
New Contributor II
Hello,

This is my first post in any CityEngine forum 🙂

I have a scene in which I have made small changes to the Philadelphia example model. I have duplicated the terrain and street network and I have effectively doubled the size of the city. The duplicate sits adjacent to the original and I wish to begin connecting certain streets along the border between them. However, the streets will NOT connect. The best that I have managed has been manually manipulating the network in such a way the streets appear to be connected. Doing this is tedious and is often futile because I then realize that I need to move the streets around significantly.

Is there a way to force the connection? Any help would be appreciated (especially from Matthias lol).

-Josh
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hey !

Hehe, daddy's here to help .. 😉

You need to merge the layers, otherwise, the Blocks are not created.

Just select the layers, then RMB-click to merge the layers.

Ok ?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hey !

Hehe, daddy's here to help .. 😉

You need to merge the layers, otherwise, the Blocks are not created.

Just select the layers, then RMB-click to merge the layers.

Ok ?
ryanhornbeck
New Contributor

Simple and functional.  You go, daddy.

0 Kudos
JoshWade
New Contributor II
Thanks for the response!

I actually found a solution here http://forums.esri.com/CityEngine/forum-9480.html, but it seems to effectively do the same thing you suggested.

-Josh
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
cool.

don't forget to use the graph cleanup tool on the connecting graphs to combine them.

glad it worked !
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Matt,

On street network, how to properly control/configure two roads with bridge (piers)?

The scenario is: At Junction, two roads connector is the bridge (over piers). See the snapshots I have below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25721[/ATTACH] and [ATTACH=CONFIG]25722[/ATTACH]

What I want is firstly to control one road under another (second snapshot above). Secondly, is there a way to do that with piers (first one above) ?

The terrain is not applied in the scene. Is it the reason to cause not functional? Anything else missing?

++++++
Just checked the example (Philadelphia), which looks that it works.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi.

very simple: just create 2 streets which do not intersect physically and create a junction.

1 street goes over the other one, but they don't create a junction.

to create pillars, just move 1 street above ground.

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Thx, Matt,

After applied with terrain onto the scene, the junction with piers can be created, as you posted. It looks that DEM/terrain must be applied in 3D scene for creation of complex junction. Correct?

If so, how to create junction or one street that goes through the underground?

Regards,
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

no, a terrain is not needed.

by default, e.g. the 'Modern Streets' rule creates an attribute 'elevation' with the value 0, which means 'on the grid', no elevation. If you create a terrain, each shape samples the height above terrain in the shape's pivot point and uses that to calculate elevation above terrain.

but it's not needed, as mentioned above.

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos