Demo of PBR in CityEngine?

06-30-2020 12:38 PM
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor

While I have done some classic shading work in CE, I'm interested in the new PBR shading capability. Could someone possibly do a demo or a rundown of the essentials of PBR in CE? I'm in architecture and I'm intersted in learning how to set up realistic textures. But there are so many material attributes and material maps, it's a bit of a maze for me. And even after researching some generic PBR info, it doesn't seem to translate directly to the concepts used in CE. While PBR concepts like Albedo, AO, are not concepts in CE, CE concepts like opacity, emissive and occlusion are not concepts in PBR. Or are they just different names for identical/similar things?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is how the CGA material attributes correspond to the GLTF material spec based on Physically-Based Rendering (PBR).

CGA material attributes

material shape attributes—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation 

GLTF material spec

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/specification/2.0#reference-material

CGA material attributesGLTF material spec
material.color.{r|g|b}pbrMetallicRoughness.baseColorFactor, RGB components
material.opacitypbrMetallicRoughness.baseColorFactor, A component
material.colormappbrMetallicRoughness.baseColorTexture, RGB channels
material.opacitymappbrMetallicRoughness.baseColorTexture, A channel
material.metallicpbrMetallicRoughness.metallicFactor
material.roughnesspbrMetallicRoughness.roughnessFactor
material.metallicmap, B channelpbrMetallicRoughness.metallicRoughnessTexture, B channel
material.roughnessmap, G channelpbrMetallicRoughness.metallicRoughnessTexture, G channel
material.normalmapnormalTexture
material.occlusionmap, R channelocclusionTexture, R channel
material.emissivemapemissiveTexture
material.emissiveemissiveFactor
material.opacitymap.modealphaMode
material.opacitymap.cutoffalphaCutoff

Demo Project

The zip file attached (PBR_Demo.zip) is a CityEngine demo project that sets PBR materials in CGA.

0 Kudos
Kristian-Mortensen91
New Contributor

I have downloaded a material from Quixel, and there is four pictures, an albedo, a displacement, a Normal and a Roughness map. I have made the albedo and the normal map work but is unsure on how to make the two other maps work. This is the code so fare:

brickMap01 = "/CityVR_2/assets/textures/PBR/Wall/Brick/Brick_Modern_ufoqbe2g_2K_surface_ms/ufoqbe2g_2K_Albedo.jpg"
bumpMap01 = "/CityVR_2/assets/textures/PBR/Wall/Brick/Brick_Modern_ufoqbe2g_2K_surface_ms/ufoqbe2g_2K_Displacement.jpg"
normalMap01 = "/CityVR_2/assets/textures/PBR/Wall/Brick/Brick_Modern_ufoqbe2g_2K_surface_ms/ufoqbe2g_2K_Normal.jpg"
roughnessMap01 = "/CityVR_2/assets/textures/PBR/Wall/Brick/Brick_Modern_ufoqbe2g_2K_surface_ms/ufoqbe2g_2K_Roughness.jpg"

WallMaterial01 -->
set(material.colormap.su,1/1.440)
set(material.colormap.sv,1/1.440)
set(material.colormap,brickMap01)
set(material.normalmap.su,1/1.440)
set(material.normalmap.sv,1/1.440)
set(material.normalmap,normalMap01)
set(material.roughnessmap.su,1/1.440)
set(material.roughnessmap.sv,1/1.440)
set(material.roughnessmap, roughnessMap01)
projectUV(0)

0 Kudos