Creating Streets from existing 3d polyline data

05-12-2016 07:10 PM
DaveMansergh
New Contributor II

When importing 3d polylines into City Engine from ArcGIS 10.4, how do you retain the 3d geometry of the polyline so that when a shape creation rule (such as simple streets) is applied, the road follows its original design curves (vertical and horizontal) - as defined in the original GIS layer.  When I import a 3d polyline, the vertical curves/alignment reset to the ground plane (y=0).   I am trying to import 3d centrelines of road from ArcGIS in order to generate roads from the original design (as opposed to aligning with a terrain surface).  Align to terrain is set to off in the create new street settings.  Any suggestions?

Difficult to show clearly but the attached images show the 3d alignment screenshot from ArcScene and the flattened version screenshot from CE from the same relative position (not the CE JPG has no elevation).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JawadhHabeeb1
Occasional Contributor

Try this : when Importing the polylines to CityEngine Scene, make sure the Run Generate Bridges Tool is checked.

0 Kudos
DaveMansergh
New Contributor II

Hi Jawadh

Thanks for the response. That did not work, but gave me a few ideas to try. Import 3d polyline seems to work if Generate Bridges is “off” and if imported from a geodatabase (rather than a shape file). If Generate Bridges is “on”, I get some very strange results.

Dave

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave

The "Generate Bridges" option sets the height depended on the attribute 'height' (if present).

This is mainly thought to be used with 2D data that has some segments (like bridges) with height information.

Maybe this is the cause of your strange results?

2016-05-23 20_57_06-.png

0 Kudos
DaveMansergh
New Contributor II

Thanks Thomas

That is useful to know. I have a workaround for my immediate problem but am still trying to understand the cause of the issue.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos