cityengine model export unit

12-06-2015 09:41 PM
GjinP
by
New Contributor

hello

new to cityengine - I'm trying to export a set of buildings (height generated by cga rule) from cityengine project to FBX format for use in different cad programs like 3ds max / revit

problem is, nowhere in cityengine a way to select type of unit to be found for exporting file. When I import the exported file into autocad or 3ds max it reads as centimeters, so I'm assuming cityengine exports centimeters by default, but it seems like cityengine only changes the unit without converting the numbers. (for example 1ft -> 1cm, instead of 1ft -> 30.48cm).

I've already found a way to get it working after many trials and errors, but THERE IS GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY in terms of handling unit conversions / insertion point issue for importing / exporting.

any experiences? comments ?

thank you-

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Gjin P

A CityEngine scene can have a Scene Coordinate System (SCS) set with a unit of measurement assigned.

By default the SCS is set to CityEngine CS, the default CityEngine coordinate system. Generated CGA models are in CityEngine CS without any forced unit of measurement. In general cga scripts use meters.

CityEngine CS is used to write out FBX meshes there is no option to set the unit of measurement.

If on Autodesk 3ds max FBX Import Centimeters is displayed, please set the scale factor to 1.0.
This should give the right scale for System Unit Meters.

2015-12-08 11_45_43-FBX Import (Version_ 2015.1).png

0 Kudos