CityEngine data export

07-14-2015 07:30 AM
PengGao4
New Contributor II

I am new to CityEngine and still learning it. I have one simple question: if I create a group of 3D building using say 'Polygon shape creation' tool and some CGA rules, can I export the shapes of these building into ArcGIS as a shapefile or geoDatabase feature class with the associated attribute such as height, size, etc.? Thanks.

Peng

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

If you create a polygon shape, and then apply a rule to that shape....it will become a model.  You can export those models as an Esri File Geodatabase.  The feature class in the database will contain Multipatch feature classes that have the same geometry and textures that you applied in CityEngine with the CGA file.

They show up in ArcScene for example...

As for attributes, If you right click in the "Object Attributes" section of the inspector window in CityEngine....and you add an attribute....These attributes will be in the attribute table for the features in ArcGIS.  However, I am not sure if you can have a rule create a new attribute/value pair for your object.

Hope this helps.

PengGao4
New Contributor II

Micah,

I just saw your response, which is very helpful -- thanks a lot.

Peng

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can't use CGA to apply attributes to shapes. CGA can only read them. But, you can use Python to apply attributes to the shapes, which will then export into the GDB.

0 Kudos