Select to view content in your preferred language

Change default workspace location

Jump to solution
11-07-2022 12:16 PM
MaximeDemers
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

This is a really newbe question, but I wonder how can I change de default location where the projects a created by default.

It is currently defined to a remote drive on a network, but I would like to set to a local directory.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MaximeDemers
Frequent Contributor

The only way I found was to open CityEngine in safe mode. Then it asks me for specifying the default workspace which I did. I closed the safe mode application. Then, the new workspace location was applied into the default CityEngine application automatically.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @MaximeDemers,

Changing the workspace is pretty straight forward no need to open CityEngine in safe mode 😉

Just go to "File -> Switch Workspace -> Other..." this will open up a dialog where you can define path to a new workspace or point to an existing one.

See also under Projects in the help

Best,
Jonas

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaximeDemers
Frequent Contributor

The only way I found was to open CityEngine in safe mode. Then it asks me for specifying the default workspace which I did. I closed the safe mode application. Then, the new workspace location was applied into the default CityEngine application automatically.

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @MaximeDemers,

Changing the workspace is pretty straight forward no need to open CityEngine in safe mode 😉

Just go to "File -> Switch Workspace -> Other..." this will open up a dialog where you can define path to a new workspace or point to an existing one.

See also under Projects in the help

Best,
Jonas

MaximeDemers
Frequent Contributor

My bad, that was so obvious...

Can I risk another newbe question related to workspaces? When I switch to another workspace, is there something that would still links to the default workspace? For instance, if I download data or tutorials, will it be stored in the the default or in the active workspace?

I am asking because when I am out of the office, I dont have access to the default workspace because it is on our intranet.

Now I know I can switch to a new workspace but it seems I cannot modify the location of the default workspace. 

Many thanks for your help,

Maxime

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor
  • The is not really a difference between the default workspace and any other workspace expect that is the default that gets created when CityEngine is started for the very first time.
  • CityEngine always operates on the current/active workspace, when you switch the workspace CE gets  restarted with the workspace from the newly set location.
  • You can either directly create/copy projects in your current workspace or link them from another path
    • File -> Import -> Project -> Existing Projects into Workspace
  • Tutorial / Examples are donwloaded into your current workspace location and when the download is finished they are added to the workspace
  • Also please not that it is not a good idea to have the workspace directly set to a network share, you can link projects from a network share into your project if you want, but also with this approach you might run into problems when multiple people work on the same project.

More context about this can be found in Manage Projects in the help

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Jonas