CEClient out of memory

08-07-2015 07:27 AM
VeronicaAnderson1
New Contributor

CEClient out of memory.JPG

I have a scene with just 421 buildings and a terrain. When I apply the Zoning.cga rule right out of the Redlands Redev example, this warning pops up almost immediately. The buildings are generated from a feature class prepared in ArcMap 10.3 which was developed from a plan drawn in AutoCAD. What is the issue here? I have the numbers 3807[MB] and 9476[MB] in my Free Memory bar in CityEngine and that indicates to me that there is enough RAM available. I just upgraded the version from 2014 to 2015.1 and continue to get this error so I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Help, I need to generate models! What is the solution? Log and screen shot are below...

CEClient out of memory log.JPG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen this before, but I do not remember how to resolve it.  A) Do you have the NVIDIA Graphics?....B) Were the buildings 2D polygons or Multipatches before you brought them into CityEngine?

Perhaps the Zoning rule you are using is for a footprint and not a 3D multipatch and it is causing a crash?

0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson1
New Contributor

Hi Micah, thanks for the reply. I do have NVIDIA and the buildings were 2D polygons so I don't think that should be the issue. If you could click "I have the same question" we might get some more attention on this issue. Glad to know I'm not alone in experiencing it.

Cheers,

V

P.S. David Wasserman​,Matthias Buehler​ or Chris Wilkins​, ever seen this before?

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Hey Veronica,

If the native side (C++) is out of memory, then I'd say there's something wrong with the model generation.

Do the models take unusual long to generate too?

Let me know..

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

VeronicaAnderson1
New Contributor

Matt- it doesn't take unusually long to generate them, just that some of them stop generating as soon as the error pops up. It appears to be random footprints which stop generating when this happens.

Veronica Anderson

GIS Analyst

Mobile: 860-235-0741

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hey Veronica,

What version is the original Scene? Are you using 2015.1 to open a 2014 scene?

Do we have a resulting polygon count from this?

Did you run a shape clean up before model generation? (I am just curious if the fact the original data was CAD might influence vertex/polygon count. Don't know for sure).

I have seen errors similar to this in ArcGIS where I had to give more memory to Arc from my OS/or change internal Arc settings. Matt has explained before that CE uses Java and C++ and both have their own memory allocation. Maybe it is an Install issue...

Have not ran into this before in CE, so I am just thinking of questions.

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson1
New Contributor

Hi David, thanks for the thoughts. I'll try to respond to them without being at my pc right now, in case that is helpful for your thought process. I don't know the poly count but it should be standard for having 450 building footprints. Nothing fancy here. I did import the project from my old workspace into the new one I set up for 2015. Hadn't thought about this causing issues since the same error showed up in both '14&'15. I will try starting a new scene from 2015. Yes, I did do polygon cleanup in CE after import. Let me know if you can think of any other troubleshooting techniques I should try. I'm thinking the problem is in the footprints because they came from CAD polylines that I converted into polygons in ArcCatalog. Not sure what to try though to clean them up/troubleshoot other than the cleanup geometry in CE. Thanks again for your input in this.

Veronica Anderson

GIS Analyst

Mobile: 860-235-0741

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Hey ..

If the proplem occurs with 400 ish footprints, it could come from one single footprint.

Depending on the code, it could be an 'endless recursion' or a geometric/topological issue.

Veronica, can you try and track it down by eliminating elements that don't seem to cause this issue?

Make a duplicate of the scene file, then:

- delete terrain

- generate models 'per rule file' (if there are multiple rules involved)

- also, analyze, if the issue comes up when you generate the models multiple times, having an eye on the right mem-indicator.

- you can also do a 'binary search', generating half the models. if that goes well, the other half. if you run into an issue with one of the halves, go to a quarter of the scene, and so on.

I've had it in the past that one 'sliver' shape that was 1 meter long and a fraction of a cm wide caused the exporter to crash. binary search was the method to find that shape.

Let me know.

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-----------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited
matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos