CE City does not generate buildings when uploaded to Web Scene

Jump to solution
05-25-2013 06:39 PM
AdrianiColeman
New Contributor
Hello Everyone,

I keep on getting an error message when exporting my project to ArcGis online. It says 'unknown package'. 

I tried uploading the .3cws file thru ArcGis online and was successful.  However, none of my buildings are present on my map.  My snapshots are there, but nothing else.

I am working with CE as a teacher for a competition, and I am not a professional in this program by any means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ani,

What is happening is your scene file contains geometry in two very far apart locations. At the origin of the scene (0,0,0), there is a Wizard city, but then about 9 million meters away, your own design is located via its georeference. Since the scene contains geometries so far apart, it experiences an issue with the math behind the projection. I was able to export a web scene and see your buildings, but they flickered and distorted upon orbiting the camera. I believe this is similar to the wobble effect discussed here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/59442-FBX-export-%28models%29-to-3DSMAX

To fix this, I created a new scene, then went to File>Import>Scene(.cej), selected your scene, and only imported the contents of your design, and deselected the layers containing the Wizard City (very important that no geometry from Wizard city comes into the new scene, or this won't work). This new scene exported to web scene fine, without the wobbling geometries, and all models showing.

Let me know if you are successful in recreating the scene, and if your new scene will export.

Main idea here is to start a new scene rather than importing georeferenced data into a Wizard City scene.

Best,
Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ani,

Seems you have two issues - one with the upload to AGOL, and one with buildings not appearing. Since we want your web scene to export correctly before uploading to AGOL, let's look at the building visibility problem first.

You said, "none of my buildings are present on my map. My snapshots are there, but nothing else". In CityEngine, do you have 3D Building models generated by CGA rules, or are you using premodeled buildings imported from elsewhere? If premodeled, are CGA rules applied to those model?

When exporting, did you select the models of the buildings before exporting? Is it possible the buildings were not selected, or had their layer turned off during export?

And the "snapshots" - what type of geometry/shapes/models are those? You said those are showing up, but not the buildings.

Can you provide link to the uploaded web scene?

Thanks!
Chris
0 Kudos
AdrianiColeman
New Contributor
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.  I had not been anywhere near my computer today so I am just replying.  Sorry for the delay. 

Ok, well I do have 3D models generated by CGA rules.  I do not have any imported buildings.  All of my buildings have CGA rules applied to them.

The first time I tried to upload my scene, I only could have done so thru ArcGis online and not through CE.  That web scene did not generate any buildings only a picture of my map, and my snapshots.  The snapshots are part of the bookmarks, but I am not sure what type they are other than that.  So basically, in the first web scene, there was a picture of my map and I could have played the snapshots, but I did not see any buildings.

I then went back and re-did the entire process of exporting my web scene.  I made sure that all my layers were turned on and that I had manually selected the entire scene on my layer.  The entire process went alright except that I still could not upload from CE.  So, I uploaded again online.  The buildings were blinking like crazy this time. 

Now tonight, when I signed back in, I did not see my scene.  I tried uploading again online and it gave me an error message. Sigh.  I have managed to share as a web scene at the following address, but I do not see it in 'My Content' in my account. 

I thank you for all of your input in advance.

The link is: http://localhost:55604/ceviewer.html?3dWebScene=/DreamCity/models/DREAMCITY.3ws

Ani,

Seems you have two issues - one with the upload to AGOL, and one with buildings not appearing. Since we want your web scene to export correctly before uploading to AGOL, let's look at the building visibility problem first.

You said, "none of my buildings are present on my map. My snapshots are there, but nothing else". In CityEngine, do you have 3D Building models generated by CGA rules, or are you using premodeled buildings imported from elsewhere? If premodeled, are CGA rules applied to those model?

When exporting, did you select the models of the buildings before exporting? Is it possible the buildings were not selected, or had their layer turned off during export?

And the "snapshots" - what type of geometry/shapes/models are those? You said those are showing up, but not the buildings.

Can you provide link to the uploaded web scene?

Thanks!
Chris
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ani,
Can you send me your project file so that I can reproduce it on our side? If you can put on dropbox or your preferred large file transfer method, and just private message me the link to download (see top of screen for messaging link).
Thanks!
Chris
0 Kudos
AdrianiColeman
New Contributor
Hi Chris,

I have been having trouble orienting myself with this site.  I guess having students around while trying to learn something new is kind of distracting to say the least.  Please for your e-mail address so that I may send you the file.  I will send probably using gmail.  Thanks so much for everything. 

Ani

N.B. I tried to private message you, but it said that you have that option disabled.  Don't worry, so did I. 

Ani,
Can you send me your project file so that I can reproduce it on our side? If you can put on dropbox or your preferred large file transfer method, and just private message me the link to download (see top of screen for messaging link).
Thanks!
Chris
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ani,

What is happening is your scene file contains geometry in two very far apart locations. At the origin of the scene (0,0,0), there is a Wizard city, but then about 9 million meters away, your own design is located via its georeference. Since the scene contains geometries so far apart, it experiences an issue with the math behind the projection. I was able to export a web scene and see your buildings, but they flickered and distorted upon orbiting the camera. I believe this is similar to the wobble effect discussed here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/59442-FBX-export-%28models%29-to-3DSMAX

To fix this, I created a new scene, then went to File>Import>Scene(.cej), selected your scene, and only imported the contents of your design, and deselected the layers containing the Wizard City (very important that no geometry from Wizard city comes into the new scene, or this won't work). This new scene exported to web scene fine, without the wobbling geometries, and all models showing.

Let me know if you are successful in recreating the scene, and if your new scene will export.

Main idea here is to start a new scene rather than importing georeferenced data into a Wizard City scene.

Best,
Chris
0 Kudos
AdrianiColeman
New Contributor
Hey Chris,

A million thanks for all of your time and input.  It has indeed been extremely helpful. I have received your e-mail and will add the scene.  Thanks so much.  Your help has been valuable!

I did see the Wizard Cities there, but I had no idea that it would impact the scene so much.   I will e-mail you with a link of the finished product. 

Thanks so much!

Ani
0 Kudos