Can't get OSM data in 2017.0 and 2017.1

Jump to solution
05-02-2018 06:23 AM
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I can't get any OSM data from the Get Map Data option anymore. CE sits for about a minute at "Creating resource blahblah/map.osm" and then returns a window saying "Selection is empty!". However, there is definitely data there because I can get it straight from OSM. Also, when I use the function in CE 2016.0, it works as expected.

What could be the issue here? It worked a few days ago, and the computer setup did not change. I might have saved my password in the program, which I usually don't do, perhaps it's because of that? Clearing it didn't fix anything, but maybe it can be cleared "properly" elsewhere.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

The CityEngine Team has just issued a patch to fully restore the Open Street Map functionality:
https://community.esri.com/community/gis/3d/cityengine/blog/2018/05/08/cityengine-get-map-data-for-o... 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for reporting this issue. Internal testing also revealed it.
The CityEngine team is working on a solution.

So far, a login problem can be ruled out, the OSM data is available to everyone.
The login is only required for obtaining Esri data.

Workaround:

1. Use the export functionality of OpenStreetMap.
  2. Import the OSM file into the CityEngine scene: Importing Data from OSM http://cehelp.esri.com/help/topic/com.procedural.cityengine.help/html/manual/import/osm.htmlOSM import
    1. For adding networks: activate the highway checkbox
    2. For adding polygons: activate the buildings checkbox
  3. Assign an ESRI.lib rule to generate models
    1. For networks: /ESRI.lib/rules/Streets/Street_Modern_Standard.cga
    2. For buildings: /ESRI.lib/rules/Buildings/Building_From_OpenStreetMap.cga

get map data‌ osm

0 Kudos
LR
by

Grabbing the map.osm in the maps folder from CE 2016 also works. I ran into another OSM problem: the streets don't stay aligned properly in any non-EPSG 4326 project when exported to a CE webscene. This affects only the streets, buildings stay in the proper place.

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

The misalignment is caused by a known issue. The webscene (3WS) exporter cannot handle two layers having the same name.

Workaround: Rename the streets layer from "map" to "streets" prior to the export.

ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

The CityEngine Team has just issued a patch to fully restore the Open Street Map functionality:
https://community.esri.com/community/gis/3d/cityengine/blog/2018/05/08/cityengine-get-map-data-for-o... 

LR
by

Great!

0 Kudos
TatiannaSwenda1
New Contributor II

Hello Thomas, Do you have a patch for the 2019.1 version?  I am having the same issue. Using 2019.1 version.  Online connection ok.  Get map data feature is not working regardless of whether the scene has a coordinate system assigned. getmapdatafeaturenotworking

0 Kudos