CableCar Rule

01-13-2015 06:39 AM
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I saw the PoleCable rule from Desert City scene and I was curious how could I make a similar rule for a Cable Car?

The problem is that my pools are created by another rule applied to some points, so I only need the cable to be connected with the pools and to be continuous ( as height, rotation and length) and optionally to be able to put some cabins on the cable ( I have the 3d model).

I saw that the PoleCable rule was applied to a street so I did create a line feature class for the route where the is the cable car...

I managed to do something by placing the cable ( I have it as .obj) and the cabins manually, but it is not continuous.

123.png

I also have a scene : http://esriro.maps.arcgis.com/apps/CEWebViewer/viewer.html?3dWebScene=9615f25a67dc4dc1ae0340bf5c8084...

Thanks !

Ionut

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ionut,

Your scene I cannot access due to authentication on your server.

Rather than deal with street shapes and rules, you might just place the poles and cables manually. No need to write a CGA rule for a limited application of several OBJs in a scene. If you will be modeling this same cable system numerous times, then maybe make a rule using manually drawn rectangles. You would probably be drawing the street network manually anyway

Chris.

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

Now it should work!

Well, I tried manually but as you could see in the picture I couldn`t connect them manually ( because the cable is thin and between 2 pools there is a different height, rotation and etc...

I`m not sure I understand what you mean  in the last part of the answer...

Thank you a lot!

Ionut

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Use these tools to move, rotate and scale the OBJs to fit between the poles:

Capture.JPG

This is easier than writing a rule, unless you need to model cable cars very many times.

You might try moving and scaling before rotation, since rotation makes the scaling harder.

IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

I used those buttons ( scale,move and rotate) but those cables are very thin and it's difficult to connect them at pools....

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Maybe try drawing 2 very thin streets - one for each continuous cable. Put the graph nodes where you want the lines to connect to the towers. Positioning the nodes should be much easier than placing the OBJ. If you can get that set up then we can do a rule for the cable insertion.

There is no existing way to run this as a single street rule. There could be if someone wrote a Py script to generate custom shapes on the graph. Possible, but difficult.

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

I already have a line feature class which vertexes are snapped to the points that are the towers ( practically in city engine the graph`s nodes are connected to the towers).

We are working one a way to solve this problem( creating a rule or so) before taking the manually solution....so we`re open creating a rule for this !

Thank you !!

Ionut

0 Kudos