bottom faces

10-23-2014 01:32 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I seem to spend a lot of time writing the following for buildings and roofs:

comp(f){bottom:NIL|......

I think it would be useful if there were a global control to prevent bottom faces being created - or an option in the extrude and roof creation rules to exclude bottom faces......or have I missed something?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MatthiasBuehler

Hi ..

'bottom' is always interpreted relative to the scope orientation. since that may change quite a lot, you can't generally say you want all bottom faces to be gone. e.g. the underside of balconies..

by conding CGA, you encode the semantics of a building, thus you define which polygons should be created and which not, in every case.

but to answer your question: defining this globally is not possible other than using a specific rule that 'assumes' a specific scope orientation (or enforces it) to delete some faces.

Ok ?

matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

---------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

I see.... do it all in a single RemoveBottom--> rule at the end...... good plan.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

just a quick question ..

do you see a button here on GeoNet that sets a post as 'answer' ? I don't see that button here ..

?

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

Even though it was kind of a question I did this as a discussion instead - so maybe that's why you don't have the button you want.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

ah .. that may make sense ..

ok .. thx !

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I assume only the person that posts it can mark it answered. I'd like to know, because I've just decided Matthias Buehler and I will have a points competition on GeoNet!  Since Matt knows 100x more than I do about CE and CGA, I'm going to surely lose. Matt was my mentor here at Esri, and since he's forged ahead to new territories we have to keep him coming to the forum constantly. So ask questions, and Matt and I will try and get the right answer, but everyone needs to mark the question as "helpful" or "answered". Sounds fun huh? Matt is already ahead. Will I ever catch up?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you don't use the "bottom" selector, it will not be selected:

version "2014.1"

BuildingFootprint -->

extrude(15)

Compify

Compify -->

comp(f){

top: color(1,0,0) X.

| side: color(1,1,0) X.

# Bottom goes to NIL if not mention with selectors.

}

Try it and let us know. I could be brain damaged or something.

Chris

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

Huh.  Well it's not you who is brain damaged.  I guess these things can happen when one's away from CE for a few months.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

‌I had to test it to make sure first. 

0 Kudos