Block Limit

09-16-2013 09:48 AM
WalidBakhos
New Contributor
Greetings,
I have a simple question regarding street/block generation. Is it possible to generate blocks that are not entirely bounded by a street network? I've attached a picture to illustrate my question. The block to the left is bounded by 3 streets (front and side and a line to the back that would be the project/development limit.
I know CE assumes that a block is entirely bounded by streets, but in subdivision plans this is not always the case.

Best,
Walid
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

You currently need a street on each side. That's the way it was designed, mostly to keep things easy.

The 'Dynamic City Layouts' system is not an extremely realistic system, but one which allows you to use easily and fast.

If you need very detailed and precise subdivision patterns, you may want to still draw them manually.

Ok ? 🙂

Matt
0 Kudos
WalidBakhos
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,
Thanks for your prompt response. But what if I set the back street and its sidewalks to 0 like you mention in a recent thread? Can I use this "trick" in this case as well for more control? I consider going static as a last resort as the dynamic city layout is really amazing when it is possible.
Thanks again
Walid
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Of course this is also a valid thing to do, though as you notice, when the graph segments are drawn with the red dotted line, it's shapes can not be created properly. This may sometimes give you a few issues.

Though in the end, using the 'Dynamic City Layouts' system is just the process of creating shapes, for later use in CGA. If the shapes you create give a valid topology for your work in CGA, your goal is reached.

So yes, go ahead and also use that trick ! sure !

Matt
0 Kudos
KristaDoersch
New Contributor

I realize this is an old thread, but is there a better way to do no street edges now? I'm working in an area bounded by several lakes and redrawing the shoreline and canals is part of the new plan, but they shouldn't all be roads. I remember a CE tutorial example with water, but can't find it now, if anyone has any resource suggestions?

0 Kudos