Adjusting texture file

03-20-2013 05:53 AM
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
I want to have some 3d-ness with my texture file, but I don't want it looking like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]22784[/ATTACH]

I have the flat picture, which doesn't look bad, but I want it with some more demension.  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22785[/ATTACH]  I tried using a black and white scale elevation map, but that didn't work either.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Nicole
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

Hi,

Take the input of the upper image, then go to the terrain layer and lower the U and V subdivisions in the layer settings (Inspector).

Let me know if this makes it prettier ..

Matt
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
OK, how do I do that?  Sorry!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

- select terrain layer
- look at inspector
- > Layer Attributes : Terrain resolution u and v.

ok ?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
to visualize this a bit better, activate wireframes with the '7' key and set the 'wireframe alpha' of the terrain layer (same place as the uv-subdivisions) to about 0.4.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nhanson83

Gotcha!!  OK, thanks!!  I will try that out!

So, I'm lowering the u and v, but it's still doesn't look very good unless it's directly over top.  But I want to be able to zoom in, and when I do, it still looks funky.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

Well, then I guess this is a limitation of the data at hand .. 😞

heightmap files are limited in precision and represent terrains only by vertically displacing a grid of points. So either you have a really good detailes heighmap and quality-matching satellite picture for on top of it. Otherwise, I guess you can not really do more. CityEngine only provides the tools to show the data you have, not increase the quality.

Sad but true ..

Maybe try to get some better raster files for this task.. Ok ?

Have a nice day !

Matt
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nhanson83

Ok, thanks
0 Kudos