3D Roof Modeling Issue

01-18-2013 07:26 AM
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor
I'm brand new to 3D modeling and i've been working on a very complex roof design but i've found some unexpected behavior (pictured below). Instead of a sloped roof evenly distributed between the vertices it has this straight cliff and then a flat surface (probably easier to just look at the picture 🙂

Any ideas on what I should do about this? Moving around the vertices doesn't seem to help. I would rather not have to split it up into pieces
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

are you creating this geometry with CGA or with the shape creation tools ? I assume the latter, right ?

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor
I'm using editing tools. I could just split it into several pieces and then it would "curve" but there aren't supposed to be lines on that part of the roof.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Well, some things are not yet possible in CityEngine, but CE is also not specialized in manual modeling, but is rather a procedural modeling tool. Nevertheless we're constantly increasing the stability and usability of the tools, including those shape creation tools. It can be that CE 2013 will solve this specific situation better, there was a lot of effort put into those modeling tools lately.

Depending on the complexity of construction you need on those roof geometries, you may at the moment be better off with a CAD application, sadly.

So at the moment, I think, subdividing may be your only chance on this in CE currently.

Matt
0 Kudos