3d polyline shapefile import - Problem on Z scale

02-28-2014 11:44 AM
AdamDuncan
New Contributor
Hi all. I'm modeling a Canadian town for a school project. Loving the rules based modeling for shaping buildings, but having some trouble with road imports.

I've got a polyline file in ArcScene. I interpolate the shape from tin no problem (Picture 1)... but the polylines continue acting up on the z scale when imported as a shp.

It seems that a polyline cannot change vertical direction through its course. This has caused, for example, a road that traverses the crest of a hill and terminates at another road, to wind up a cull de sac higher than that road where the intersection should be (See Picture 2). I thought I had a solution by opening the editor and merging all polylines, but this has caused the shapefile - already interpolated to shape -- to be completely flat in CityEngine (Picture 3).

Is this a problem with shapefile import? What other options could there be for 3d polylines from ArcScene? Thanks for your help!

Adam

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31882[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

Hi,

what do you mean by 'It seems that a polyline cannot change vertical direction through its course' ?

do you want to don't want the elevation ?

an other tip: Check the docs on the 'cleanup graph' settings in the import dialog. deactivating some of those settings may give you better results.

Matt
0 Kudos
AdamDuncan
New Contributor
I meant the Y scale, sorry... different than ArcScene.

I'm just importing and extruding within the program now, it's much easier. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

I'm now not sure.. Is the issue solved ?

If not, try maybe a GDB with a feature class that supports z values, that should work..

Lemme know..

m.
0 Kudos