Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to share 'custom variables' in Business Analyst?

05-11-2018 12:49 PM
JackBoyd
New Contributor III

I've successfully shared projects, infographics, web maps and my data with others in my group but have not been able to find a way to share 'custom variables' that I have created.  Is there a way to share custom variables?  I would also like to share 'saved criteria' for a suitability analysis but didn't find a way to do that.  Appreciate any help.  

Tags (1)
3 Replies
PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the question. Currently, it is not possible to share custom variables and saved suitability analysis criteria. 

Could you please share your use case if that's okay? That will help our team understand the need for these features.

Thank you,

Praveen Srivastava

ArcGIS Business Analyst Team

JackBoyd
New Contributor III

Hi.

The use case for sharing:

I’m interested in helping colleagues new to BA to get a fast start. My plan was to create and share a project structure that includes a few site collections, web maps, ‘my data’, and a custom infographic and a couple of saved suitability layers. The goal is for a colleague to be able to load a shared suitability layer that was saved with an initial site collection and saved evaluation criteria (ie, 7-8 criteria from attributes, 2-3 from ESRI data, a couple from ‘my data’ variables and one or two from ‘custom variables). My colleague could then get to work quickly, manipulating the weightings, removing criteria if desired to see the new ranking, print a custom, shared infographic that is derived from the data, including ‘custom variables.’

Eventually, I think my colleague will learn to load sites and add criteria as desired but it would be helpful for a fast start to be able to load a pre-set default criteria. Without the ability to share custom variables, I would need to teach my colleague how to build custom variables (I think too hard for a new person) or I would have to log on in each of their ID’s and build it for them, which is very time consuming.

Thanks for a great product!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jack

PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jack,

Thanks for describing your use case. This does require sharing of custom variables and suitability filter criteria which is not possible currently. Could I request you to log these enhancements on our ideas website: ArcGIS Ideas? This will share the idea with the larger user community who can vote and support the idea to help prioritize it. 

Thank you for your feedback and time.

Praveen