Select to view content in your preferred language

Interact with 'Nearby Location' table count in custom report builder

11-01-2022 10:09 AM
ChrisMyers_NewQuest
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I am building a custom report in BAO and I am trying to create a custom variable using the 'point count' sum from a nearby locations table in a custom business analyst report. 

I have a feature layer containing locations of specific grocery stores (hence why I cannot use the 'Businesses' dataset by SIC or NAICS code - it's too broad), and I need to calculate some variables using the number of grocery stores from my feature layer within the defined area (drive time, radius ring, etc.)

I cannot figure out how to interact with the output of the "point count" variable from the nearby locations tables. In the attached image, I have circled the output variable that I am trying to interact with. Ideally, I would like to use this number to calculate variables such as "number of grocery stores per person", etc. 

Thanks,

Chris 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChrisMyers_NewQuest,

My recommendation is to use infographics instead as it provides more options when creating nearby tables. You can use the summary infographic option to calculate your variables. Learn more about building nearby infographics. 

FasilTiru_0-1667510848868.png

Once you build the summary infographic, you can view additional attributes by clicking Explore for more when running the infographics. You can use the Nearby Restaurants infographic template as an example. Notice it has a nearby table and also a summary.

FasilTiru_2-1667511440747.png

I hope this helps!

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
ChrisMyers_NewQuest
Occasional Contributor

Hello @FasilTiru

Thank you for the feedback! I haven't had the chance to test this yet, I will do so this week. I see the nearby table infographic in the screenshot you provided - do you happen to know if this will allow me to interact with the total output number from the summary? For example, if I run this report/infographic for a 15-minute drivetime and there are 15 grocers summarized in the area, will I be able to use that number 15 to calculate, for example, number of grocers/total population? 

Thanks!

Chris 

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChrisMyers_NewQuest 

In the nearby workflow, you can only normalize the count of the nearby grocers by the total population. 

FasilTiru_0-1668012958686.png

If you simply want the number of grocers/total population using the Esri Business data, creating a custom variable as follows might be the best option. 

FasilTiru_1-1668013031902.png

If you have your own point layer and want to summarize the count by creating a custom data, the process might be a bit complicated but it can be done. 

First, your layer must contain a field and populate that field with "1" for all features. Then create a custom data using this field. Basically this field will be used to create a summary count of all the businesses in a specific area. You can add the custom variable in classic reports or infographics. 

FasilTiru_2-1668013677520.png

I hope this helps.

Fasil

0 Kudos