Select to view content in your preferred language

Can we share a project with an AGOL group from Business Analyst Online?

05-07-2018 11:40 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Share to entire organization or individual users appears but where is the option to share to groups?

7 Replies
PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Bill,

Good question.

Actually, this is by design per the sharing model in ArcGIS Online. A project in Business Analyst is technically a group in ArcGIS Online. Since groups allows adding users or adding whole organization, you see only those two options in BA and not the option of sharing with groups. More details are here:

Interested in knowing more about your use case for sharing with a group.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, 

Praveen Srivastava

Product Manager

ArcGIS Business Analyst Team

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the detail Praveen,

My thought was to share the project with an AGOL group for the Fire Department.

Not have to go select members one-by-one.

I do not keep track of which users will be in the Fire Department group day to day.

So, having the ability to share to a group like we can do with items like webmaps would be great.

Is adding a group to a group possible?

-Bill

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Bill,

As an Administrator you can add all members from one group to another group. To do this, go to the Groups tab on edit settings and click Assign Group Membership. Search by the name of the source group and then select all of the members. Next find the destination group Select Next then assign.

-Kelly

PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

That's great, Kelly. Thanks for the help.

Bill, Let us know if the Assign Group Membership option doesn't help with your use case. Thanks

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Praveen / Kelly,

That group membership process still requires oversight to keep up with any staff changes.

Can we have membership of an AGOL group controlled by one or more of our on premise Active Directory groups?

That way as staff changes we only have to maintain a single source.

This is how we already manage SQL Server with AD Groups mapped to SQL Server roles.

Portal has this now but I think it is an all or nothing option - Only the AD group controls the Portal group's membership and you cannot also allow an internal portal user or single AD user to also be in the Portal's group.

-Bill

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Bill,

You can create groups where their membership is controlled by a SAML group in ArcGIS Online.

Check out the option to Enable SAML based group membership when enabling Enterprise Logins:

Set up enterprise logins—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Create groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Let us know if you have questions.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Kelly,

Thank you for pointing that out.

I found the edit ID setting to include the option for AD groups.

The group settings page now just needs the BAO "group" to include the option to specify "Who can join this group" like AGOL groups and Portal groups are already configured to do.

-Bill