Bathymetry data SL2

12-15-2021 07:45 AM
GBForever
New Contributor

Our organization has collected bathymetry data through the use of an AUV (.logdoc) and lowrance side scan sonar (.Sl2). Is there a way to use these data file formats in ArcMap bathymetry? In order to add bathymetry, I know it needs to be in gridded raster format (BAG, GeoTIFF) or a point feature class (w/ footprint polygon). 

I was able to convert the SL2 files into kml and/or csv using an online converter. 

Not sure how to move forward. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paulakark
Esri Contributor

Hello @GBForever ,

If you have your data in a CSV format,  you can convert it to a point feature class using the ASCII 3D To Feature Class geoprocessing tool. 

Another option could be to use add x,y coordinate data as a layer and save the layer as a feature class.

Thanks,

Paulina

0 Kudos
GBForever
New Contributor

Hi Paula,

I had trouble using the geoprocessing tool and I'm not sure why. perhaps it has something to do with my data. 

In using point data, a footprint polygon is needed. Do I need the Defense Mapping extension to create this or can it be done with another tool and still be used in bathymetry?

0 Kudos
Paulakark
Esri Contributor

Hi,

What about the add x,y coordinate data as a layer workflow? Was it successful? 

For the footprint, try to use the Minimum Bounding Geometry geoprocessing tool with the CONVEX_HULL option.