Select to view content in your preferred language

Aviation Charting Resources for Getting Started

08-21-2024 10:19 AM
JohnEvans6
Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have to admit I'm at a loss in trying to use this toolset. The output is incredible. There are some videos in the community from 2015 using ArcMap about importing AIXM data and there's a 3-part YouTube video (Aviation Charting in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube) that demonstrates what the tool does. The data is pre-prepared and annotations already seem to be created for the demo though, which makes this whole thing look more like magic.

Are there videos or tutorials anywhere that demonstrate using this tool from start to finish? Or at least videos or walkthroughs that show AIXM data being imported and then stylized? Is going through the data dictionary the only way I know which pre-defined table the data goes into?

I have been here (Get started with ArcGIS Aviation Charting—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation). I can complete setting up the aviation gdb, get the template, and then draw an AOI. From here I don't know what else to do. I have attempted to use the  APT_AIXM file from FAA NASR Data  to load just airports and apply the charting style, which based on the data dictionary (AIS schema data dictionary—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation) should load into the ADHP table? The table is empty on import.

Thanks for reading through and any assistance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KiyoshiYamashita
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

We did a webinar series in 2021 that goes into the process in a little more depth.  I believe it's a bit newer than the video at the YouTube link you shared.  You can find the recordings here: https://www.esri.com/en-us/lg/industry/government/2021-national-aviation-webinar-series.

Also, it sounds like you are very much on the right track for getting started.  The next step would be to load data into the AIS, and the Import AIXM 5.1 geoprocessing tool is the main way that we do that.  Unfortunately, the FAA NASR data is not a dataset that we've done much testing with in its AIXM flavor.

I did a little bit of experimenting and was able to reproduce the results that you describe (empty output).  Looking a bit closer, I noticed that there may be some things in the AIXM message itself that are contributing to the issue.  But without errors being returned by the tool, it's hard to track down what the specific issue is.  I've passed this on to the product team so that they can look into this further.

If it's critical for you to work with this FAA data, please reach out to us through tech support so we can start to look a bit deeper sooner.  But if you're just trying to familiarize yourself with the product for now, you may have better luck with AIXM data from a different organization.  Here are a few agencies that publish AIXM data that I've had success with in the past:

DavidWickliffe
Esri Contributor

Hi John,   

If you are loading AIXM data into AIS Charting,  look at the AIXM import configuration files to see source AIXM to destination AIS fields and tables.  These are AIXM51SpecConfig.json and  AIXM51WriterConfig.json, which are installed under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Aviation. 

That path also has the export config files 51ExportRelationships.json, 51ExportTemplate.xml and AIXM51ExportDomains.json.  You can look at those to see the source AIS to destination AIXM data mapping.   The 51ExportRelationships.json file will show SQL statements showing how AIS tables relate. 

For more info on the configuration files take a look at

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/aviation/update-the-import-aixm-5-1-configu...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/aviation/aixm-export-configuration-files.ht...

If you don't have to have AIXM, another source of charted FAA data is this site :  https://adds-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/  

You can download shapefiles there.  These would be easier to data map and load into the AIS Charting geodatabase schema, but would take some field mapping and some additional work to populate geodatabase relationships.