Using AppStudio for creating an Damage-Finder-App

10-08-2015 12:10 AM
SaschaV
New Contributor

Hello People out there,

I have a question about the general features of Esris AppStudio for ArcGis, currently in BETA-Phase.

I work fo a company dealing with all sorts of ArcGis Online Services for Communitys an Towns in Germany.

The current project is to design an app for a town. The main purpose of the app should be, that residents

of the town are able to report damages (e.g. broken streetlamps, trash lying around, graffiti and so on)

directly via app to muncipality so that the repair progress can begin without delay.

You can find a similar system right here.

I tried to use the QuickReport Template in Appstudio combined with the DamageAssement Feature Service , this one., for testing purposes.

In General it looks like something I could work with, although some necessary items are missing. Please read the following List of features the

App should provide and tell me if this is possible. Im thankful for every hint.

Following functions the app should provide:

• Taking Pictures of the Reported Damage (included in the Quick Report Template)

• Inserting the following Information: Name and Surename and E-Mail adress of the reporter, Description of Damage, Locationof Damage (district, street name and street number), Type of Damage (via Dropdown or something)

• Picking the damaged place on a web map with a marker. These markes should change colours depending on if the problem has been solved, repair is in progress or the problem is reported. These markers should also be visible for all users of the App. This should avoid redundant reportings of the same problem.

• After reporting the damage an E-Mail should be send to one or more receivers within the muncipality automatically contaning the type and place of the Problem and if attached a photo of the scene. (very important)

Well as I said I' new to this and I have no Idea if this will work in the way I want it to. So feel free to give opinions or hints.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Sascha

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GarethWalters
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sascha,

The QuickReport sounds like a great start for your application. I will attempt to answer each of your dot points.

• Taking Pictures of the Reported Damage (included in the Quick Report Template)
    • You feature service just has to have attachments set and the app will automatically give you a camera/file picker

• Inserting the following Information: Name and Surename and E-Mail adress of the reporter, Description of Damage, Locationof Damage (district, street name and street number), Type of Damage (via Dropdown or something)
    • These will all be fields defined in your feature service. You can set the type of damage as a subtype and it will all flow through to the app.

• Picking the damaged place on a web map with a marker. These markes should change colours depending on if the problem has been solved, repair is in progress or the problem is reported. These markers should also be visible for all users of the App. This should avoid redundant reportings of the same problem.
    • The quick report app doesn't show the features that have been collected, however you could customise the app to add this functionality. At the simplest, you could add the featureLayer to the map in the page RefineLocation.qml.
    • You could also make an app using the map viewer that could be used to show the ongoing progress.

• After reporting the damage an E-Mail should be send to one or more receivers within the muncipality automatically contaning the type and place of the Problem and if attached a photo of the scene. (very important)
    • if email was a field in your feature service, you could make it required so a user must fill in the details. Then you could have a back end process that emails the person once the status is complete.

I hope this helps. Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Gareth

DustinBaumbach
New Contributor II

Hi Gareth

I have a similar problem as sascha where i am trying to display all the current logged markers in a quick report after the record has been logged. I found an Attribute Display sample project that I would LOVE to insert into my quick report application, however, I am unsure where the code for this sample project should be input into the quick report. Please help me understand where the code for this Attribute Display sample should be input into my quick report and how it should be called. I have been trying to tinker with it and don't fully know what to do. Please let me know if you would like me to send you the files for both apps.

Thank you,

Dustin

0 Kudos