Questions About App Stores

08-08-2017 11:05 AM
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

I have some questions about App Studio, and I can't find the answers on the ESRI product page. I've been developing my company's website using our ArcGIS Server and the ArcGIS Javascript API. I've created interactive maps and geoprocessing tools that return reports and charts to users based on map clicks. We want to start to expand these offerings to mobile devices, and we're looking at investing App Studio for ArcGIS Standard. I'm wondering about making apps available for sale. Would we be restricted only to certain app stores (Apple, Google, Microsoft) or could we sell them in any app store? Do we have to have an ArcGIS online account to use App Studio? We do not currently have an account, we do everything from our ArcGIS Server. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

Welcome to AppStudio! Let me help you to answer your questions.

-Would we be restricted only to certain app stores (Apple, Google, Microsoft)?

•   No, you are free to add them to any store as along as the store supports Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS or Android apps.

Do we have to have an ArcGIS online account to use App Studio? 

•  AppStudio desktop is a cloud based solution to build, share and upload your apps within your org. You need either an ArcGIS Online Org account or a ArcGIS portal account to start building using AppStudio. You can integrate your server content to ArcGIS Online or Portal easily. Which means your data and services can continue to host on ArcGIS Server but the apps need to hosted on ArcGIS online or the Portal account. 

-Nakul

0 Kudos
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you. So there isn't a way to build the apps locally and upload them to a store? They have to be built and hosted online?

0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually you could build apps locally using AppStudio Local Make tool. In order to use Local Make you need to have the build environment set up. Please refer to this doc on how to set up the dev environment.

Install development tools for local Make—AppStudio for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

-Nakul

0 Kudos