How to best combine functionality from two templates?

06-23-2020 12:39 PM
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello

I know that this question has been asked before, but I have yet to find a satisfying answer and since there was an update to AppStudio recently I thought there might be a more elegant or easier solution.

I am creating an app that will utilize the key functions of Map Viewer and Quick Report. I am aiming to have people go out in the field and collect observations (features) that will include photographs and other attributes selected from a form (Quick Report). I would then like to display these field collected features on a map so that other users can navigate and locate them (Map Viewer). There are areas that users will be going without cell phone coverage so being able to have offline maps is another important function. I envision that most users will be using the Map Viewer functions, while a smaller number will be using the Quick Report functions. 

Based on the fact that most people will probably be using the Map Viewer functions, I think that I should build off of that template, adding the Quick Report functionality that can be accessed from the map. What I am confused about is how to integrate the two templates, as in where would one be able to even start to combine the two? Do I open and copy the code that I want from Qt Creator?

Alternatively, would it be better to start from scratch and use the code from both in Qt Creator?

Another goal of this project, though later down the road, is to have the field collected features integrated into an online map/dashboard/story map. From my understanding the features collected in the field are automatically updated?

Hopefully this all makes sense and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Garrett, 

At this point, the only way to combine the two templates is by moving the code from one to another, when I say "move", it means editing the source code and move (part) of the source code over to another template. 

May I suggest using the AppStudio Player? Perhaps utilizing the new Custom Profile experience, https://community.esri.com/groups/appstudio/blog/2020/02/27/introducing-appstudio-player-custom-prof... 

So I would imagine you would have a Map Viewer Template and a Quick Report template in the your profile, plus you can also add web applications such as Dashboards and Story Maps. 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I am trying to deploy this app, for free, to the general public or members of our community. It looks like AppStudio player is more tailored to organizations working with smaller groups?

I want users to have both key functions in one location and not to have to switch between the two apps depending on if they are collecting data or using the map to navigate in the field.

Does that make sense? 

Maybe I will have to do some code combining to accomplish my task.

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

I see that makes sense. It sounds like the only option forward right now is to do a custom template app. 

0 Kudos
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hi Erwin

Thank you so much for all the correspondence.

Would you suggest starting with one of the two templates, Map Viewer or Quick Report, and then building off of that? I would assume that more is already built into the Quick Report template. Though, I was wondering if it is possible to use the Map Viewer template and then to have a button or something of the sort that would allow the user to capture a photo (feature) while they are using the Map Viewer template based app in the field. When the camera is used, there would be an affiliated form that users can fill in. I think that a button or something of the sort would be a more elegant way to integrate Quick Report into Map Viewer, but I am not sure if that is possible?

From what I understand, the Map Viewer template would also have to have a feature layer where these photos could be linked to in order for this to possibly work?

Does that make sense?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Garrett, 

It depends on how much of the functionalities from MapViewer do you really need for the app. I think it is actually easier to use QuickReport as based for this app, since QuickReport has a map already, in which you can use the webmap that has the same feature layer that you use to do data collection. 

So the only functionality that you need to add is probably identifying features and showing the attributes in the pop-ups, and plus anything other map based related functionality that you need. QuickReport also supports mobile map packages in lieu of the webmap that would support offline workflow, if needed. 

Thank you for discussing this with us, it definitely helped us in knowing what our users are thinking of building from our templates, and hopefully, it can guide what new features we should be adding in our templates. We are very excited to see how this project goes, please keep us updated. 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello Erwin

Thank you. I am going to start development with Quick Report this weekend. I like your suggestions and I think that they only functionality from Map Viewer will be the pop up attributes, particularly since there will be photos attached to the points that people can use for identification. Will people be able to see the map at all times when using Quick Reports and also be able to navigate to those points? Or is this something that Map Viewer will need to be used for? I should note that navigation does not mean step-by-step directions, rather it would place the point on a trail that is available on the basemap. People could use the location of their cell phone once they get closer. That is is the only way that I can think about doing directions to a feature, unless there is another solution. 

I am sure that I will have more questions, but thank you for everything thus far.

0 Kudos