Appstudio and C++?

Jump to solution
03-14-2016 11:59 AM
KrisFoster
New Contributor III

I'm interested in beginning to test out the AppStudio functionality, but I'm confused on whether I can also write some of the business logic in C++ as well when using AppStudio.  When I try to add C++ files to an AppStudio project in Qt Creator, it throws errors (Failed to add one or more files to project).  Forgive me for this question if the answer is quite simple, I have just started playing around with AppStudio.  Basically I'm just looking to understand what my limitations are regarding C++ coding if utilizing AppStudio.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Kris,

C++ files cannot be added to a .qmlproject. You will need to create a QtQuick Application Project using Local Make and then add your files. This is achieved by un-checking the Build app for selected targets box on the Local Make tab of Make Tool. This will then generate the files you need to add your C++ code to.

AppStudio also does not support custom C++ code for the Cloud Build service - you will need to use Local Make instead.

- Hannah

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HannahFerrier

Hello Kris,

C++ files cannot be added to a .qmlproject. You will need to create a QtQuick Application Project using Local Make and then add your files. This is achieved by un-checking the Build app for selected targets box on the Local Make tab of Make Tool. This will then generate the files you need to add your C++ code to.

AppStudio also does not support custom C++ code for the Cloud Build service - you will need to use Local Make instead.

- Hannah

EricBader

Hi Kris,

Just to add to Hannah's excellent response: If you require a lot of your business logic to be in C++, it makes a lot of sense to use the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt. This SDK is specifically designed for this use case, and is very intuitive and rich for C++ developers. AppStudio was not designed for this use case of using C++ as your back end.

Keep an eye on the Quartz release of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt: This will support the development of your UI/UX with QML, allowing the back end business logic to be written in C++. And that will be supported on all platforms: Windows/Linux/Mac/iOS/Android.