Apple requirement for Xcode storyboard for the app launch screen

Jump to solution
03-29-2020 03:25 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got an email from Apple saying that from June 30, 2020 it would be required to use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app's launch screen.

Apps for iPhone or iPad must be built with the iOS 13 SDK or later and use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app’s launch screen.

Any heads up from the AppStudio team on how this will be implemented in the cloudmake workflow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul, 

Sorry if it was not clear. Yes, you don't have to do anything different, the Cloud Make at AppStudio 4.2 (and above) service will convert the launch screen graphics to a Storyboard for iOS build.

This will reduce the ipa app size for iOS, for example, ArcGIS QuickCapture has seen size reduction from 74Mb to 48 Mb, What is new in ArcGIS QuickCapture 1.4 

Thanks,

Erwin. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

This was added in AppStudio 4.2 release on February 2020, please see this blog, What’s New in AppStudio for ArcGIS 4.2 (February 2020) 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Erwin

I had a look at that blog, it has a one liner that I could see:

iOS apps currently support Launch Screen storyboards

but it doesn't have any detail? If I look in AppStudio desktop app at the moment (v4.2.80) and open the Settings module, click on the Resources section, there are the same options to add a "Launch Image" but no mention of storyboards. So I'm a little unsure what the actual change is? Do we still just upload a graphic and CloudMake in the background converts this to a storyboard? Or is there some other option somewhere that I've missed?

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul, 

Sorry if it was not clear. Yes, you don't have to do anything different, the Cloud Make at AppStudio 4.2 (and above) service will convert the launch screen graphics to a Storyboard for iOS build.

This will reduce the ipa app size for iOS, for example, ArcGIS QuickCapture has seen size reduction from 74Mb to 48 Mb, What is new in ArcGIS QuickCapture 1.4 

Thanks,

Erwin.