AppFramework.Network object doesn't work as expected after AppStudio 5 upgrade

Jump to solution
04-01-2022 09:16 AM
KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

We have code in our AppStudio 5 app that checks to see if the device changes network status. If the device goes offline, remove online layers and if it comes back online, add the online-only layers to the map. We use AppFramework.network Object to check for triggers of the onlineStateChanged signal. This worked perfectly in AppStudio 4.

const networkChangedStatus = () => {
      if (!Networking.isOnline) {
            console.log("Status changed", Networking.isOnline)
            removeOnlineLineLayers()
            } else {
               console.log("Status changed", Networking.isOnline)
               addOnlineLayersToMap()
            }
      }

AppFramework.network.onlineStateChanged.disconnect(networkChangedStatus)
AppFramework.network.onlineStateChanged.connect(networkChangedStatus)

Unfortunately, in AppStudio 5, this signal doesn't get triggered anymore. I know the isOnline property in Network is deprecated, so we're using Networking.isOnline, but surely the whole Network library isn't deprecated?

I also checked the Networking object's networkChanged signal and implement that to the above code into lines 11 and 12, like below.

Networking.networkChanged.disconnect(networkChangedStatus)
Networking.networkChanged.connect(networkChangedStatus)

But this networkChanged signal gets triggered too often; sitting idle while being connected to network triggers the signal every 10 seconds or so.

What's the best solution here? I want to be able to check the device's network status and make changes accordingly in my map. It seems to me like AppStudio 5 took away the ability to do this.  

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------
Application Developer, GeoMarvel
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrevorFrame
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinCheriyan,

We actually have a simple sample app, Network Check, that demonstrates how to do this. Have it run and disconnect/reconnect to a network to see how it updates automatically. Essentially, the app determines the device isOnline by using a NetworkConfiguration component, a component that encapsulates a single access point or service network, to see if the device is connected to wifi, lan, or mobile data. In the sample, you can create a signal handler isOnlineChanged: {} to do stuff if isOnline property changes. See this doc for more details

Hope this helps!

Trevor Frame

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TrevorFrame
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinCheriyan,

We actually have a simple sample app, Network Check, that demonstrates how to do this. Have it run and disconnect/reconnect to a network to see how it updates automatically. Essentially, the app determines the device isOnline by using a NetworkConfiguration component, a component that encapsulates a single access point or service network, to see if the device is connected to wifi, lan, or mobile data. In the sample, you can create a signal handler isOnlineChanged: {} to do stuff if isOnline property changes. See this doc for more details

Hope this helps!

Trevor Frame

KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

Great, the sample app helps!

--------------------------------------------------
Application Developer, GeoMarvel
0 Kudos