Android LocationDisplay PositionSource AccessError no permission

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 05:37 PM
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

I am unable to get the MapView.LocationDisplay.PositionSource to return positions on Android. The error returns AccessError and I'm sure it is a permissions issue. AppStudio\Qt documentation says directly that I need to request location permission from the user at run time and need to 'add code to your app to do this, by making use of the Android framework or Android Support library classes provided that allow you to check for permissions, and request permissions if not already granted'.

DavidPuckett_0-1649982350197.png
https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/device-location/

I have pored thru documentation for Qt and Android but no luck figuring out how to do this in Qt QML. I know there is a manifest file that contains this permission for Android but I am using Cloud Make and have no access to this manifest file in order to add permission.

I could not get the Display Device Location sample to work on Android using the AppStudio Player either.

What am I missing to get user location on Android?

MapView.locationDisplay definition:

locationDisplay {
    positionSource: PositionSource {
        id: positionSource

active: true

preferredPositioningMethods: PositionSource.AllPositioningMethods

position.onCoordinateChanged: {
            console.log(position.coordinate);
            errorMessage2 = position.coordinate
        }

onSourceErrorChanged: {
            if (sourceError == PositionSource.NoError)
                return

console.log("Source error: " + sourceError)
            errorMessage = "Source error: " + sourceError
            stop()
        }

onUpdateTimeout: {
            console.log("position timed out")
        }
    }
}

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrevorFrame
Esri Contributor

Hi @DavidPuckett,

It should be populating the dialog automatically. You can test this using the sample, Display Device Location. The prompt to access permission will display when you select to start getting location. I was able to reproduce your error by denying the location permission and trying to start it as well. 

To manually prompt a permission dialogue, we also have a sample called Permission Request. It utilizes the AppFramework PermissionDialog qml component. 

Best,

Trevor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TrevorFrame
Esri Contributor

Hi @DavidPuckett,

It should be populating the dialog automatically. You can test this using the sample, Display Device Location. The prompt to access permission will display when you select to start getting location. I was able to reproduce your error by denying the location permission and trying to start it as well. 

To manually prompt a permission dialogue, we also have a sample called Permission Request. It utilizes the AppFramework PermissionDialog qml component. 

Best,

Trevor

0 Kudos
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

The PermissionDialog is what I needed. Thanks!

0 Kudos