Select to view content in your preferred language

WPF Local/Offline cache

04-06-2010 12:19 AM
PieterCoetzer
Deactivated User
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the WPF (or the Silverlight) component will allow for a local cache to be stored to allow for faster map viewing similar to something like temp internet files (I know ADF can do this)?

We need to cache the map data locally on the client's PC to enable faster browsing because of bandwidth restrictions, but have a sort of timestamp on the tiles so that if the user is connected and there is new tiles available from the REST cache, to replace the local cache (sync the cache). This could also allow for offline map browsing for users with Firewall restrictions.

My thought was to use the ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer functions to load the data from the local cache into the WPF viewer (this works if you have a pre-defined cache stored on the desktop), but I am struggling with the Connected scenario. I need to intercept the downloading of the ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer tiles, get the tile URL and tile info (like a created timestamp or something) and download the tiles to the local cache store (if newer) on the user's PC.

The process flow:
If user is online > check REST cache timestamp > download new tiles to local cache > display Tiles from local cache
If user is offline > display Tiles from local cache

Has anyone done something similar? Any help would be great.

Pieter
0 Kudos
2 Replies
wangzhifang
Frequent Contributor
ArcGIS API for silverlight/wpf 2.1 release will have an option for users to allow them manage local cache.
0 Kudos
PieterCoetzer
Deactivated User
Hi,

This is great news. Our users will be ever thankful to have the maps "offline" option.

This could also mean that WPF software packages could be distributed with an pre-built cache set, so that users working disconnected or behind a firewall can access some mapping data without having to be directly connected to the ArcGIS Server - only to refresh when they are.

Cheers!
0 Kudos