IE explorer 8 > View Zoom 125% > has affect on map tips

12-27-2011 09:52 AM
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
Please let me know if others are having the following problem as well:

I am using the ArcGIS Silverlight 2.3 API.

Map tips for polygon features work properly when at 100% zoom (View Menu).  But when I have this set at 150%, 200% etc. the first map tip always works but after that they are all off.

This problem has been plagueing me for some time.  Once the map tip is off (selects wrong tip) you have to perform a zoom and then the first tip will be correct again.

I only had this problem on my Testing computer.  Not any other computer so I thought it had to be the video card.  Then i noticed that the zoom was set on 150%.  I set it back to 100% and the map tips are working correctly.  It only affects the map tips not a query on click like a Identify task.

Tracy
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
We would need more info on how to reproduce this issue.

I tested with these 2 samples in the SDK interactive:
   - Toolkit maptips
   - Graphics maptips

and I am not able to reproduce with IE set with a display zoom.
0 Kudos
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
Dominque,

I tried the samples you listed before I posted and they worked well for me aslo.  But I was not sure the samples posted were using the version 2.3 or not.

I don't know if the following is enough to give you a clue or not.  It seems as if when IE is in Display zoom > 100% the graphics get shifted down (all the maptips that are displayed are actually from features 2 or three precincts north).  Always works perfect at display zoom 100%

I am using Visual Studio 2010.  Application compiled in VB.Net
Problem noticed on IE 8.  But I don't have IE 9 to try yet.  

I have 5 feature layers, and 3 ArcGISTilemapserviceLayers.

Layers bottom to top:

I have A switchable basemap (Aerial or Streetmap) ArcGISTilemapserviceLayers ,
Building Footprints: ArcGISTilemapserviceLayer:
New Congressional Districts: FeatureLayer with Maptip defined.
New Legislative Districts: FeatureLayer with Maptip defined.
New County Board Districts: FeatureLayer with Maptip defined.
New Precincts: FeatureLayer with Maptip defined.
Polling Locations: FeatureLayer with Maptip defined.

I have re-projected all of my layers to the Web Mercator Auxillary Sphere projection from Illinois State Plane West Zone (feet) (Nad 83).

The problem described is persistant with all of my feature layers.

This is my main basemap layer:
<esri:ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer Url="http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer" />

The following is the Precinct Layer with map tip: (Note that my Server is internal only and is a staging server).

<esri:FeatureLayer ID="Precincts"  Url="http://GISTEST/ArcGIS/rest/services/SC_NewDistricts2010_B/MapServer/1"  MaximumResolution="300"
                                   OutFields="*">

<!---->
                            <!-- Set up the map tip for the Feature Layer -->

<esri:FeatureLayer.MapTip >
                        <Border CornerRadius="10" BorderBrush="#FF222957" BorderThickness="3" Margin="0,0,15,15">
                            <Border.Background>
                                <LinearGradientBrush EndPoint="1.038,1.136" StartPoint="0.015,0.188">
                                    <GradientStop Color="#FFD1DFF2"/>
                                    <GradientStop Color="#FF0088FF" Offset="0.946"/>
                                </LinearGradientBrush>
                            </Border.Background>
                            <Border.Effect>
                                <DropShadowEffect ShadowDepth="10" BlurRadius="14" Direction="300" />
                            </Border.Effect>
                            <StackPanel Margin="7">
                                <TextBlock Text="{Binding [Precinct]}" FontWeight="Bold" Foreground="Black"  />
                                <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">
                                    <TextBlock Text="Name = " Foreground="Black" />
                                    <TextBlock Text="{Binding [PrecinctName], Mode=OneWay}" Foreground="Black" />

</StackPanel>
                                <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">
                                    <TextBlock Text="Urban " Foreground="Black" />
                                    <TextBlock Text="{Binding [UrbanArea], Mode=OneWay}" Foreground="Black" />
                                </StackPanel>
                            </StackPanel>
                        </Border>
                    </esri:FeatureLayer.MapTip>

</esri:FeatureLayer>

Tracy
0 Kudos
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
Dominique,

I have found one example that mimics my problem:

This is in the Web Map groups and I am not using an ArcGIS.com webmap but this definitately exhibits the problems I have with web zoom.  hover over one of the points with display zoom at 150%. The first maptip will work then move over another maptip and you won't get a response because the feature is offset to another location probably way south and west.  On my browser after I hover over Jackson Mississippi and then move off to let the tip go away, if I move my pointer just west of Jackson I will get Yellowstone Park.

If you pan or zoom the first map tip will be correct and then all other incorrect or not at all.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/silverlight/samples/start.htm#WebMapNotesPopups

Tracy
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
Hummm, that's right:confused:

I reproduced the issue with IE8 and Firefox (seems working well with IE9  though).

We'll try to get it fixed in a future version.

Thanks for reporting that.
0 Kudos
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
You are welcome.

One more thing that might help.  I also noticed the same problem in the version 3.0 beta 1 using this sample:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/silverlight/3.0/samples/start.htm#WebMapFeatureServicePopups

Notice that if you have the Display zoom more than 100% the maptip works the first time and then not again and you also won't be able to use the radio button!!.  Just one more clue.

Tracy.
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
You are welcome.

One more thing that might help. I also noticed the same problem in the version 3.0 beta 1 using this sample:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/silverlight/3.0/samples/start.htm#WebMapFeatureServicePopups

Notice that if you have the Display zoom more than 100% the maptip works the first time and then not again and you also won't be able to use the radio button!!. Just one more clue.

Tracy.

For infos, it turns out that this bug can be reproduced with the Silverlight4 runtime only.
So a possible workaround is to upgrade the client to Silverlight 5 Runtime.
Note that the  ArcGIS API for Silverlight version 3.0 (Release candidate for now) works only with Silverlight5 so the upgrade will be mandatory in a near future (though the current 3.0 Interactive SDK is still using SL4).
0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor
Tracy, 

The current resource center for the ArcGIS API v3.0 for Silverlight is available here: http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/webapis/silverlight-api/community/index.html. The current download version is 3.0 prerelease, with 3.0 final coming in June.   Prerelease only targets Silverlight 5.  The interactive SDK available on this site targets Silverlight 5.  As Dominique stated, the issues you reported are only present when using the Silverlight 4 runtime.  Since the problem is outside the ArcGIS API (Silverlight 4, IE & FF browsers), we are unable to fix it.  With this in mind, you have the option of targeting Silverlight 5 with v3.0 pre-release or updating your browser to IE9 (although this issue is not resolved in the latest FF browser - 12.0). 

Hope this helps,
-Rex
0 Kudos