Select to view content in your preferred language

How to edit feature layer(arcgis online) data in my silverlight app

06-04-2012 10:26 PM
shariqueabdul
New Contributor
Hi All

I am creating feature data form from scratch . i retrieved fields data for layer http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/SanFrancisco/311Incidents/FeatureServer/0 but now i want to edit that data when i click on edit button . i saw thread for editing but could not understand .
so how can i edit Arcgis online data for above particular layer ?

and also

when i bind combo box in FDF then selected value does not display in combobox?

Please help .
Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
To edit a feature layer, the capability has to be enabled at the server side.
That is the case for the layer you pointed out : http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/SanFrancisco/311Incidents/FeatureServer/0 (you can check that by looking at the supported operations at the botom of the page).

Then you have just to insert in your main page a toolkit control allowing editing such as FeatureDataGrid, FeatureDataForm, EditorWidget...
There are samples here:
0 Kudos
shariqueabdul
New Contributor
Hi

Thank you dbroux for prompt reply

1) As u said data editing should be enable at server side but in sample application we can edit fields. it means that data editing is enabled for sample app

2) How can i enable data editing on my own ArcGIS server as we have few services for city,highways,county etc .but it showing read only i am unable to edit those fields

3) if data editing enables on my ArcGIS server then how to edit those fields 

please help .....

Thank you
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor

1) As u said data editing should be enable at server side but in sample application we can edit fields. it means that data editing is enabled for sample app

Right. Editing is supported for this sample feature service.

2) How can i enable data editing on my own ArcGIS server as we have few services for city,highways,county etc .but it showing read only i am unable to edit those fields

When you create your service you have to enable the 'Feature Access' functionality (additionaly to 'Mapping' which is mandatory).

Then you can enabled the following operations : Create, Query, Update, Delete, Uploads (checkboxes).

3) if data editing enables on my ArcGIS server then how to edit those fields

Nothing specific to do, See samples:
0 Kudos
shariqueabdul
New Contributor
hi
when i am creating new service or editing existing service to enable data editing (to check feature access check box) getting following error

configuration (service_name) mapserver can not be started server object instance creation failed on machine(system name)

i checked the log file using ESRI existing thread .

SDE GeoDatabase. Feature Access capabilty requires the data to be on SDE GeoDatabase
Server has no associated SOC machines or all SOC machines are at capacity. Add a SOC machine or change the capacity of the available SOC machines
Configuration SDM.ServerDirectoryManager can not be started

i think for editing data should be in database  bcoz now it is in file ..... please suggest what is required to do editing ...

thank you
0 Kudos
JenniferNery
Esri Regular Contributor
You need to enable "Editing" when publishing your service. I think your follow-up question is for server team, you can check this resource though: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Publishing_fe...
0 Kudos