Dynamic Segmentation method

02-22-2011 07:16 PM
SantoshV
New Contributor II
HI,
I am developing a Road Information System application using Silverlight API (ArcGIS Server 10) and Oracle

for Road Surface Condition type I have done Dynamic Segmentation as follows
I have created a oracle view of all the attribute I required and then using ArcToolbar -->
Linear Referencing Tools -> Make Route Event Layer

I access this layer by creating a service of it, but the problem is that the application is very slow in drawing the geometry and I an also missing some roads(Geometry) here

Am I doing this the right way is there any other way of doing this?
please suggest
0 Kudos
7 Replies
IanKidner1
New Contributor III
I am not sure about how Oracle might be interacting with this process, but I do know that with the linear referencing part, from what you described, it seems you are displaying the event layer in the Silverlight application?  When I view event layers in ArcMap (directly after performing the dynamic segmentation), they typically require a long time to draw for some reason, and I always create a shapefile/feature class after creating the event layer, and this eliminates the delayed draw time. 

Are you trying to create a dynamic web app that updates as the road surface condition data updates?

The missing geometry probably has something to do with the data between the event table and the route layer the dynamic segmenation process is using.  In one of those, the log points are not corresponding, resulting in missing/lost geometry. 

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this project is working out.
0 Kudos
SantoshV
New Contributor II
Thank you for replying

I am drawing data form oracle database thro ArSDE
(my 1st theory is I am using Oracle 11g R2 with ArcSDE 9.3.1, the document shows sde support only for Oralce 11gR1 as am using 32 bit OS)

Is this the problem I am also not able to Create routes(add Measure values) the process keeps running no message displayed
should I change my server from Oracle 11gR2 to Oralce 11gR1 or may be use ArcSDE 10?
0 Kudos
JenniferNery
Esri Regular Contributor
You might need to post this question to ArcGIS Desktop team: http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/5-ArcGIS-Desktop-General

I found the following documentation but I don't know if it is useful to you.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//003900000026000000.htm
0 Kudos
IkerBerasaluce
New Contributor III
Hi santoshf2,
I'm having trouble finding information about how to create a service of "ArcToolbar --> Linear Referencing Tools -> Make Route Event Layer". Seeing as you managed to acomplish this, could you give me some advice on what I have to do?
I'm making a silverlight application on ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 and I need to make this tool work. I am starting to thing this only can be done with ArcGIS Server 10 or above.
Thank your
0 Kudos
SantoshV
New Contributor II
Hi santoshf2,
I'm having trouble finding information about how to create a service of "ArcToolbar --> Linear Referencing Tools -> Make Route Event Layer". Seeing as you managed to acomplish this, could you give me some advice on what I have to do?
I'm making a silverlight application on ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 and I need to make this tool work. I am starting to thing this only can be done with ArcGIS Server 10 or above.
Thank your

Hi fulcrumingenieria,
       ArcToolbar --> Linear Referencing Tools -> Make Route Event Layer creates a route event layer whch is added to the .mxd, set the symbology as needed for the event layer, then save the Map Document and publish it in the ArcGIS Server as a Map service which can be consumed directly  as a map service...
0 Kudos
IkerBerasaluce
New Contributor III
Hi,
It's not exactly what I need to do but thanks to the info. I thought you where using the Make Route Event Layer in the server to feed new layer to the map. My bad.
Thank you anyway.
0 Kudos
BeverlyPham
New Contributor
Hi fulcrumingenieria,
       ArcToolbar --> Linear Referencing Tools -> Make Route Event Layer creates a route event layer whch is added to the .mxd, set the symbology as needed for the event layer, then save the Map Document and publish it in the ArcGIS Server as a Map service which can be consumed directly  as a map service...

Hi Santoshf2,
I am currently using dynamic segmentation on a stretch of a river, but the attribute table of the route event layer keeps coming up blank. This is how I performed the dynamic segmentation. I created my route using the Create Route tool, and then I used the Make Route Event Layer tool to create the route event layer. There are no error messages. Do you know what I may have done wrong to create a blank attribute table for my route event layer?

I know there are two ways to create a route, which is either using the Linear Referencing tools --> Create Route tool or the Make Route on the editor toolbar. Does it matter which method I choose to create my route to perform the dynamic segmentation? Are there a benefit using one over the other or is it both the same, just two different methods?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Thi
0 Kudos