What version of Python is compatible with the arcgis API?

Jump to solution
10-23-2019 10:19 AM
NathanLee
New Contributor II

I am currently using Python 3.6.5 and up until yesterday, I could use the ArcGIS geoenrichment module. Now however, I get an error when trying to import geoenrichment, which says that the "Method will be removed due to changes in the GeoEnrichment API" I can't seem to figure out how to get this back up an running and the resources on the ArcGIS website are terrible for just trying to figure out that little bit of information. Any suggestions or ideas regarding a possible resolution are welcomed. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanLee
New Contributor II

The problem is that Pip install of ArcGIS will break the GeoEnrichment module. A fix was implemented within the last week and can be found here: https://anaconda.org/Esri/arcgis/files 

1.7 is the version that includes the fix. In a python interpreter, if you run:

import arcgis

help(ArcGIS)

It will display what version you have and if you installed via pip, it is likely 1.6 or 1.6.2.

After downloading the package using the link above, extract the contents of the file into a temp folder or anywhere that's easy to find. Once it's unpacked, navigate to the Lib folder, then to site-packages and find two folders - arcgis and ArcGIS-1.7.0-py3.6.egg-info - copy/move these two folders into your python36 > Lib > site-packages folder so that it overwrites the arcgis folder and adds the 1.7 egg-info into that folder - then delete the old 1.6 egg-info folder. Everything should work after that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NathanLee
New Contributor II

The problem is that Pip install of ArcGIS will break the GeoEnrichment module. A fix was implemented within the last week and can be found here: https://anaconda.org/Esri/arcgis/files 

1.7 is the version that includes the fix. In a python interpreter, if you run:

import arcgis

help(ArcGIS)

It will display what version you have and if you installed via pip, it is likely 1.6 or 1.6.2.

After downloading the package using the link above, extract the contents of the file into a temp folder or anywhere that's easy to find. Once it's unpacked, navigate to the Lib folder, then to site-packages and find two folders - arcgis and ArcGIS-1.7.0-py3.6.egg-info - copy/move these two folders into your python36 > Lib > site-packages folder so that it overwrites the arcgis folder and adds the 1.7 egg-info into that folder - then delete the old 1.6 egg-info folder. Everything should work after that.