Using Jupyter Notebook without internet access

01-29-2018 07:00 AM
GeoffreyJoseph
New Contributor III

I would like to know how to use jupyter notebook on a machine with ArcGIS pro 2.1 with local arcgis pro projects / no internet connection. Is it possible? I can get jupyter up and running and have connected and used resources from ArcGIS online but I also need to be able to create these notebooks when I am not connected to the internet. Any examples / links etc. would be great.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers :

ArcGIS API for Python is a Python library for working with maps and geospatial data, powered by web GIS. 

and Overview of the ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers:

The ArcGIS API for Python is implemented using the online and on-premises web GIS platform provided by ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise respectively. The API has Python modules, classes, functions, and types for managing and working with elements of the ArcGIS platform information model.

Given the primary purpose of the ArcGIS API for Python is to interact with "web GIS," i.e., either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS, what do you hope to accomplish with it when offline (I assume when you say offline you mean no access to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS)?

In terms of creating a Jupyter notebook offline, nothing is stopping you from doing that, even creating ArcGIS API for Python code while offline.  What you can't do is execute/test the code, but nothing stops you from writing code into a notebook and then executing/testing it later when connecting to either AGOL or Portal.

GeoffreyJoseph
New Contributor III

Many thanks for the info. My hope was to be able to create (and execute) notebooks using local ArcGIS Pro projects when I am not connected to the internet, yes not connected to AGOL or Portal.  As far as what I hope to accomplish, at this point I am trying to create some simple choropleth maps using output from an already developed python module, than progress from there. I think something like geopandas may work for me. Again, thanks for clarifying this.

0 Kudos
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

Hi Geoffrey Joseph‌ - it is possible to install the ArcGIS API for Python in a disconnected environment. See the Install and Set Up Guide for instructions on getting the required software onto your system. Some additional configuration steps will most likely - please contact me directly through email and I'll be happy to walk you through some additional information.

As Joshua mentions, the API for Python is designed to work with your web GIS powered by ArcGIS Online or Enterprise for ArcGIS. Will you have access to an ArcGIS Enterprise installation while disconnected?  

GeoffreyJoseph
New Contributor III

Yes, I could have access while not connected but I think for my purposes at this point it would be overkill. I can use something else to accomplish my goal at this stage. Thank you for this information though, it is very helpful.