New Machine, can't debug in Visual Studio 2017 Pro with ArcGIS API for Python

Jump to solution
04-02-2021 10:45 AM
JoeWeyl
Occasional Contributor

I have a new laptop and I am able to run code in Visual Studio for managing our environment (Portal/AGOL) that someone else wrote and debugged, but when I attempt to debug it I get a bunch of Visual Studio python based errors. I have searched to try and figure out where the problem is, but maybe the issue is I am not that good with the IDE and I don't have the Python parts configured correctly? I am not sure where to look to fix this? 

Here is what I get in the output window, there are more errors after these but it appears they are cascading from this error?  My global default Python environment is set to 3.6 as that is where I have the ArcGIS module installed in my solution. 

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Shared\Python36_64\lib\site-packages\terminado\management.py", line 23, in <module>

from ptyprocess import PtyProcessUnicode

ModuleNotFoundError
:
No module named 'ptyprocess'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @JoeWeyl, yes very annoying bug, just delete the terminado module, then the debugging will work.

Regards

Henry

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

No idea what ptyprocess is, but I guess it's being imported in the script? Have you tried just a pip install of ptyprocess?

0 Kudos
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @JoeWeyl, yes very annoying bug, just delete the terminado module, then the debugging will work.

Regards

Henry

JoeWeyl
Occasional Contributor

@HenryLindemann  I had no idea what that module was, but that was the ticket. Thank, this has been driving me nuts!

0 Kudos