exportToSDDraft leaves aprx file locked

873
7
04-18-2019 05:15 PM
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm developing a python app that makes heavy use of the ArcGIS API for Python and running into a problem where it appears that when I run exportToSDDraft, a lock is left on the aprx file that I used to create the draft. This causes a failure downstream when I try to reopen the file (or delete it). Any suggestions on how to release this lock or is there an alternative to exportToSDDraft (Python 3). 

Here is the error message I get when I try to delete the file is os.remove. I confirmed that it is actually the same process that is holding the lock - not a different process as  the message states.

PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'E:\\ROW_as_habitat\\projects\\test.aprx'

Here is the error when I do the delete with arcpy.DeleteManagement

ExecuteError: ERROR 000601: Cannot delete E:\ROW_as_habitat\projects\test.aprx. May be locked by another application.
Failed to execute (Delete).

I boiled down the script as far as I could to recreate the problem. When I remove the line with exportToSDDraft, there is no lock on the aprx file and the script completes successfully.

import os
import arcpy

blank_project_fn = os.path.abspath('config/templates/blank_project.aprx')
project_fn = os.path.normpath('E:/ROW_as_habitat/projects/test.aprx')
sd_draft_fn = os.path.normpath('E:/ROW_as_habitat/sd_drafts/test.sddraft')
connection_file = os.path.normpath('E:/ROW_as_habitat/conn3.ags')
layer_fn = os.path.normpath('E:/ROW_as_habitat/org_layer_files/Ameren_Sites.lyrx')

def create_project ():
 # Make a copy of the blank temlate project
 template_aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(blank_project_fn)
 template_aprx.saveACopy(project_fn)
 del (template_aprx)
 
 # Open the new copy and make changes
 aprx_obj = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(project_fn)
 m_map = aprx_obj.listMaps()[0]
 m_map.addLayer(arcpy.mp.LayerFile(layer_fn), "BOTTOM")
 aprx_obj.save()
 
 del (m_map)
 del (aprx_obj)

def create_sd_draft ():
 aprx_obj = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(project_fn) # THIS IS THE FILE THE STAYS LOCKED
 aprx_map = aprx_obj.listMaps()[0]
 # Create MapServiceDraft and set service properties
 service_draft = arcpy.sharing.CreateSharingDraft("STANDALONE_SERVER", "MAP_SERVICE", 'test', aprx_map)
 service_draft.targetServer = connection_file
 service_draft.exportToSDDraft(sd_draft_fn) # THIS APPEARS TO LEAVE THE APRX FILE LOCKED
 del (aprx_map)
 del (aprx_obj)
 del (service_draft)
 
def delete_project ():
 print (str(os.getpid()))
 if arcpy.Exists(project_fn):
  arcpy.Delete_management(project_fn)

  
if __name__ == '__main__':
 delete_project ()
 create_project ()
 create_sd_draft ()
 delete_project () # TEST FAILS HERE WHEN exportToSDDRaft is not commented out
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

This has been logged as a bug. No word on when and if it will be fixed.

0 Kudos
ScottDavis
Occasional Contributor

Do you have a bug number that you can share? I'm running up against this same issue.

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry but I do not. I requested a bug number a couple of times but got no response so I finally gave up. I'll give it another try and let you know if I get anything.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Don Morrison‌ did you try switching the order of the deletes?

current
del (aprx_map)
 del (aprx_obj)
 del (service_draft)

del (service_draft)
del (aprx_map)
del (aprx_obj)

Just trying to think of what would have a 'grasp' on things in the order that they were created.
 
0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

I think I tried every combination - although it was quite a while ago when I did this.  ESRI acknowledged that there is a bug so I gave up on it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sadly exportToSDDraft only pops up two unrelated threads on the support site. It would be nice to have a current bug list if it was an acknowledge issue.

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

The ESRI problem tracking number is BUG-000128820