Select to view content in your preferred language

Error truncating a feature layer

08-15-2024 06:11 AM
jayldav
New Contributor

I'm getting an error using a script that previously worked for updating a layer. The error is a string name that is too long for something identified only as 'identifier.' (I'm not sure why this is an error from the truncate function, which should be deleting rows.) I'm replacing the string with X's, but somehow it's ending up as two repeats of the name of the feature layer, so it is over 128 characters.

I can't figure out which 'identifier' this is. I printed out target_layer.properties and found that the string was the name of one of the spatial indexes, so I rebuilt the spatial indexes for the layer. Now the identifier no longer shows up in those indexes. But the error from the script has not changed, it still thinks there is an 'identifier' with this too-long string. There is nothing else under target_layer.properties that has the too-long string as its name.

What else could I do to find where/how this happening? 

Here's the error:

Exception                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

Cell In[37], line 59, in load_to_agol(shape_data, target_feature, layer_collection)
     57 target_layer = target_feature.layers[0]
     58 print(target_layer)  ##
---> 59 target_layer.manager.truncate()
     60 #Then append each block

File C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\managers.py:3053, in FeatureLayerManager.truncate(self, attachment_only, asynchronous, wait)
   3050         res = self._con.post(u_url, params)
   3051         # Leave calling refresh to user since wait is false
   3052 else:
-> 3053     res = self._con.post(u_url, params)
   3054     self.refresh()
   3055 return res

File C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py:1557, in Connection.post(self, path, params, files, **kwargs)
   1555 if return_raw_response:
   1556     return resp
-> 1557 return self._handle_response(
   1558     resp=resp,
   1559     out_path=out_path,
   1560     file_name=file_name,
   1561     try_json=try_json,
   1562     force_bytes=kwargs.pop("force_bytes", False),
   1563 )

File C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py:1027, in Connection._handle_response(self, resp, file_name, out_path, try_json, force_bytes, ignore_error_key)
   1023             return data
   1024         errorcode = (
   1025             data["error"]["code"] if "code" in data["error"] else 0
   1026         )
-> 1027         self._handle_json_error(data["error"], errorcode)
   1028     return data
   1029 else:

File C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py:1052, in Connection._handle_json_error(self, error, errorcode)
   1047                 # _log.error(errordetail)
   1049 errormessage = (
   1050     errormessage + "\n(Error Code: " + str(errorcode) + ")"
   1051 )
-> 1052 raise Exception(errormessage)

Exception: Unable to truncate layer data.
The identifier that starts with 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' is too long. Maximum length is 128.
(Error Code: 400)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

Hi @jayldav  - Can you please contact Support with a reproducible case, including data, so we can investigate further?

0 Kudos