Displaying Maps on a Python GUI outside ArcGIS

09-26-2019 04:21 PM
TersooGenger
New Contributor II

Hi, I am building a GUI with Python (tkinter) and I want to display maps on my GUI instead of on ArcGIS. Could you suggest any modules or libraries that could help with this especially it is impossible to add certain modules like geopanda on the python virtual environment of arcgis.

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tkinter doesn't play nice with ArcGIS, so you might want to explore using ...

ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers 

for display in your browser.  

0 Kudos
TersooGenger
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, I am building a desktop application. Is there another alternative?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you looking to display a static map or do you want to interact with the maps?  If the former, there are some ways to build static maps as SVG, JPG, etc... and display them.  If the latter, I would say no from a practical perspective, and I am not even sure it is technically possible.

0 Kudos
TersooGenger
New Contributor II

Thanks, Joshua for your reply.

I interested in displaying interactive maps. in terms of building a web-based application, could you offer some advice as regards a starting point or a list of solutions offered by ArcGIS you would recommend I use. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

look at my suggestion on the ArcGIS api for python

0 Kudos
RyanBrenner1
New Contributor II

From what I read above ESRI does not allow one to create standalone Python applications using the built-in Python GUI (TKinter)? if there a reason for this? Could I use the PyQt5 library to do this instead?

Jupiter is great for developing the code in realtime but does not offer the ability to create a standalone interface for a desktop application. My goal is to create a GUI that is specific to a project which taps into ESRI File Geodatabases to make querying and finding information alot faster and easier for the user who is not familiar with ArcMap or ArcPro but also offers the ability to visually see the results.

I do understand ESRI has AppStudio, however, I find the licensing and the whole application development process (inclusive of another coding language) very confusing and would much rather stick to something that is easier and less of a hassle to understand such as Python since Python is so versatile. Also, I do not have a need to store my data on the ArcOnline platform, which can also be very costly (240 credits per 1GB of data stored which is about $24/month!!). Whereas I can just build right off my desktop which is $0.

Is there any alternative to this? I am eager to start my project.