Create a copy of hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
08-23-2018 07:56 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a editable layer only viewable to my organization and I want to make a copy without edit capabilities for use on our public facing web map. Would like to setup a script that runs once maybe twice a day to update the public facing layer. Anybody know of a solution?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I assume you are using AGOL, or you are using Portal with a public interface for the public to access; and your layer is a hosted feature layer.

My suggestion is: Don't copy the hosted feature layer, create a read-only view instead. here is a pretty good article written by Paul Barker:

Getting started with hosted feature layer views 

For the instruction on the latest version:

Create hosted feature layer views—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I assume you are using AGOL, or you are using Portal with a public interface for the public to access; and your layer is a hosted feature layer.

My suggestion is: Don't copy the hosted feature layer, create a read-only view instead. here is a pretty good article written by Paul Barker:

Getting started with hosted feature layer views 

For the instruction on the latest version:

Create hosted feature layer views—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks! I was unaware this tool was available.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

The only issue I have with views is that you cannot hide some fields (those that cannot be set to null) from sophisticated users.  You can only hide the field from the map's pop-up display.  It is possible for someone to navigate to the view layer for a look. I have been looking for a way to completely hide these fields: Hosted feature layer views and domains.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos